SnowyOwl1507
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've applied for primary education with QTS and have booked my test.

Does anyone know of any good revision methods to prepare for both the numeracy and literacy skills test?
Is this test computer based?

Thanks
clara_oswald
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They're done on a computer. I would recommend finding the official practice tests. For literacy, I would recommend practicing your; spelling, grammar, punctuation and reading texts to find specific information from them. For numeracy I would look up Petter Godden- his resources are amazing. I think some people use numeracy ready too and that was mentioned but I passed first try on Saturday, without using that. I only used 66% of the resources on the teach me maths website (Peter Godden) and managed fine. He has a lot of videos on the package I purchased, but you can find some on youtube if you don't want to pay - I highly recommend his products though. I would also practice your times tables and working out conversions. He also has 20 tests on there which have a lot of the types of questions that come up, again I only had time to do 4 of them and did well.
Last edited by clara_oswald; 4 weeks ago
SnowyOwl1507
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by clara_oswald)
They're done on a computer. I would recommend finding the official practice tests. For literacy, I would recommend practicing your; spelling, grammar, punctuation and reading texts to find specific information from them. For numeracy I would look up Petter Godden- his resources are amazing. I think some people use numeracy ready too and that was mentioned but I passed first try on Saturday, without using that. I only used 66% of the resources on the teach me maths website (Peter Godden) and managed fine. He has a lot of videos on the package I purchased, but you can find some on youtube if you don't want to pay - I highly recommend his products though. I would also practice your times tables and working out conversions. He also has 20 tests on there which have a lot of the types of questions that come up, again I only had time to do 4 of them and did well.
I think I'll be fine hopefully with my literacy as my SPAG is quite good!
As for numeracy, my maths is slightly weak and felt I needed more time to prepare for this one. Hence, I've booked my literacy one and I feel more prepared for that and will book numeracy one after as I need longer to prepare for it.
What conversions in particular, any examples you might be able to give?
Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated and will definitely look into it!! 👍
tomlam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SnowyOwl1507)
I think I'll be fine hopefully with my literacy as my SPAG is quite good!
As for numeracy, my maths is slightly weak and felt I needed more time to prepare for this one. Hence, I've booked my literacy one and I feel more prepared for that and will book numeracy one after as I need longer to prepare for it.
What conversions in particular, any examples you might be able to give?
Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated and will definitely look into it!! 👍
Conversions, things like hours to minutes, gallons to litres. Nothing too taxing and anything that the average person doesn't know (like gallons to litres) will be given on the test.
With conversions all you have to do is quickly estimate a ballpark figure you'd expect it to be. Then, when it turns out you've gone the wrong way, just try the other way.

I'd also book your QTS Maths asap, no point waiting around and there's not a lot that could go wrong outside of nerves.
SnowyOwl1507
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tomlam)
Conversions, things like hours to minutes, gallons to litres. Nothing too taxing and anything that the average person doesn't know (like gallons to litres) will be given on the test.
With conversions all you have to do is quickly estimate a ballpark figure you'd expect it to be. Then, when it turns out you've gone the wrong way, just try the other way.

I'd also book your QTS Maths asap, no point waiting around and there's not a lot that could go wrong outside of nerves.
Thank you very much for the examples.
I have booked my numeracy skills test! 👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%