Ilmerith
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I tried many websites, many different CV versions and stuff.
But none of my application even got me an interview.
I have no idea what should be on.
Also, a lot of them ask for experience, which I don't have (in any sector).
Also, all the online application, where you have to answers 10 stupid questions, asking why this, why that... I got no idea how to fill them to get the job.
I tried with just saying the normal stuff "I want to help people..." or "I want a great opportunity to do this and that..." but nothing.
Help
sweehee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
volunteer in your local charity shop while you look for job. this can be your 'experience' and honestly this would look so much better.
when you hand in your cv to a shop, make sure you hand it to the manager. this will increase your chance of being hired. I know that filling questions can be really boring but I believe Barclays life skills has some articles about got to answer these questions better
Surnia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are you looking for, full- or part-time work and in what sector?

If you are applying for jobs that require experience on the off-chance, especially if experience is listed as essential rather than desirable, you are wasting your time. Consider it from the company's POV; would you take on someone that needs resources expending on training from scratch, or someone who knows the basics and just needs an induction into the specifics for the company?

Volunteering is good advice, but it doesn't just have to be a shop; charities look for volunteers for bucket collections, helping with events, all kinds of roles.

Bring more personal experience into answering questions. A good interviewer won't ask "what would you do in this situation" because anyone can give the party line; they will find out your skills by saying, for example, "give me an example of a time when you had to use time management".

Don't embellish, you'll come unstuck at interview, but for online questions, rather than just "want to help people" I'd be looking at someone who said something like "At the age of 17 I was a carer for my mother for 10 months when she was ill with x. This brought me into contact with carers from y hospice charity, who inspired me to help people similarly affected by working in z sector."
Ilmerith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
What are you looking for, full- or part-time work and in what sector?

If you are applying for jobs that require experience on the off-chance, especially if experience is listed as essential rather than desirable, you are wasting your time. Consider it from the company's POV; would you take on someone that needs resources expending on training from scratch, or someone who knows the basics and just needs an induction into the specifics for the company?

Volunteering is good advice, but it doesn't just have to be a shop; charities look for volunteers for bucket collections, helping with events, all kinds of roles.

Bring more personal experience into answering questions. A good interviewer won't ask "what would you do in this situation" because anyone can give the party line; they will find out your skills by saying, for example, "give me an example of a time when you had to use time management".

Don't embellish, you'll come unstuck at interview, but for online questions, rather than just "want to help people" I'd be looking at someone who said something like "At the age of 17 I was a carer for my mother for 10 months when she was ill with x. This brought me into contact with carers from y hospice charity, who inspired me to help people similarly affected by working in z sector."
I am just looking for a part-time job to do while going to college. In any sector basically, I just need money.
I tried McDonald's, who turned me down like 4 times. Like What? Really McDonald's turns people down?
I tried with some volunteer work, but apparently, in some jobs, unpaid work does not count as work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
jasontesfaye
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Use Indeed. Most jobs in your local area will be on there.
Ilmerith
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jasontesfaye)
Use Indeed. Most jobs in your local area will be on there.
Don't take it too much as an offence. It's just a joke.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.09%
Disagree (4)
7.27%
Neither agree or disagree (16)
29.09%
Agree (19)
34.55%
Strongly Agree (11)
20%

Watched Threads