Is university worth the debt? Watch

A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I'm dubious about this. If graduates are the beneficiaries they also pay higher amounts of tax apart from student loans - both at marginal rates and absolute values. My concern is not so much the morality as the impact of higher tax rates. Paying 50% of what you earn is a hell of a disincentive to save for additional training, move for a promotion or progression opportunity, benefit from a bonus.

Edited to add - all major parties are making noises about raising income tax to pay for the NHS (which is a code for adverse demographics).
hence why i support a shift to indirect taxes and am one of the few libertarian-leaning people to support heavy sin-taxes
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
London uni - UCL

Local uni - Cardiff
I could get a scholarship from Cardiff of £3000
However for London I’ll be receiving a maintenance loan from sfe wales of around 11,500 per year (about 3000 of this would be a grant so I’d have to repay around 8500 of it from each year). That should cover the majority of it but I also plan on working during the summer holidays / or even term time if need be.
Any more thoughts OP. If it helps I can show you some of the maths behind why once you are £30k in the hole for student loan you should borrow the whole lot - even if you just invest it in your current account or on a fast horse.
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What is your plan B if you don’t go to uni? A physics degree could potentially be very worth while (especially if you enjoy it), but do you actually have a career in mind?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've moved this thread to money and finance. Please remember this is a thread from somebody seeking advice so it would be best to continue any more general discussion/ debate in a new thread to keep this one on topic.

To OP-
There isn't really a right answer because this is your life. Obviously any advice you get could be very helpful, but be sure to make your final decision for you. It might help to make a bit of a pros and cons list and think about which of those means most to you. For instance the staying home option might be the best option financially, but if you would want to experience uni life more or would find your family distracting it might not be the best option for you personally. Likewise reputation of unis can matter a lot for some jobs and very little for others so there's not one solid right option there.
This is your life and you should live it your way. Especially since you'll be lining it for a long time still. You don't want to work out when you're 35 and pretty stuck in a role that you've been preparing for a life you don't want to live. Do future you a favour and think of yourself and what you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads