The Student Room Group

advice on what to do next please

Hello there :smile: hope you guys are having a nice summer break.
Would really appreciate it if someone well informed cared to look at this thread and helped a poor soul out.

Here we go...

so my dilemma is;

1. Just finished my A levels this past academic year, currently on a very ambitious gap year and part of it will be filled with ACT/SAT tests, uni applications, work, and just self-growth and prospering.

2. I decided in the midst of july to restudy and resit my IGCSEs for this upcoming winter session and have already paid for my exams this month.

3. now, come a-level results day this past week and I'm saddened by the results I get, so now my only solution is to resit them too. however, now I'm not so sure about doing them in October with my IGCSEs since I have a gap year and lots of time to prep some more for them till June maybe. I could easily do them next June right? I didn't think id have to resit so I didn't bother to study this and last month and so on.
the thing is, do i really wanna drag this year with a levels again even if this time will make it easier?? plus if I were to resit this winter id only be able to resit two out of three linear a levels as math is only availabele in june 2020. should i do two of them this winter and get it over with, focus on math and maybe pick up another new AS subject like computer science since that is the field I've just recently grew fond of (right after exams and all lol). is it bad to resit in different sessions?

my uni applications will start mid-December till mid-march ig since I'm appling to various ones in various countries where the registration and subjects I want to take will be different. however, my targeted top 5 unis include two of them being in the US, and of which are also part of the Ivy leagues. so do you think my winter and June resits will affect my application in any form or way? do you recommend I resit some of my GCSEs with my two a levels this winter and send in my result when it comes out in jan and registration is still open or should i just send in my gcses and sat act scores like everyone does and wait till august again for my a level results like everyone does? will that benefit me less? any advice would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Just read the entire thing and wow! Firstly, it depends on your ultimate goal. What grades do you need for a certain uni? Could u go through a different route with your current grades? Or can u deal with doing all these exams all at once but i certainly couldn’t. My advice is resit your a-levels and look at Uni that accept your IGCSE and sats grades. You could apply for a deferred entry? Are you confident you will get higher grades when you resit your a-levels. Yes exams are a crucial aspect to get to where you want to but don’t put all this pressure on yourself. But at the end of the day it’s your choice, if you believe you have what it takes then do it. My advice is just to resit your a levels and apply the year after. Also, good luck with your studies, believe it yourself. You can do it !!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Rimjim
Just read the entire thing and wow! Firstly, it depends on your ultimate goal. What grades do you need for a certain uni? Could u go through a different route with your current grades? Or can u deal with doing all these exams all at once but i certainly couldn’t. My advice is resit your a-levels and look at Uni that accept your IGCSE and sats grades. You could apply for a deferred entry? Are you confident you will get higher grades when you resit your a-levels. Yes exams are a crucial aspect to get to where you want to but don’t put all this pressure on yourself. But at the end of the day it’s your choice, if you believe you have what it takes then do it. My advice is just to resit your a levels and apply the year after. Also, good luck with your studies, believe it yourself. You can do it !!!!

Thank you so much for this reply, for your positivity and encouragements too. :smile:
the questions you brought up do make sense and seem to be the right thing to ask myself before its too late. thank you once again.
Have a nice dayyy!
Reply 3
Original post by zeena845
Thank you so much for this reply, for your positivity and encouragements too. :smile:
the questions you brought up do make sense and seem to be the right thing to ask myself before its too late. thank you once again.
Have a nice dayyy!

You too! Glad I could help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest