How patriotic are you? Watch

Switch01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
And if youre an immigrant, or children of 1st gen immigrants, which country are you more patriotic of? Your ethnic country or the country you grew up in?
Spud14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Switch01)
And if youre an immigrant, or children of 1st gen immigrants, which country are you more patriotic of? Your ethnic country or the country you grew up in?
My mum was born in Ireland, which my brother and I are very proud of, but we don’t really lean in either direction. (Don’t know if this counts since some would say the cultures are too similar)
username4878202
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
People on an individual basis are fine in groups less so. I try not to let notions like patriotism influence me if I can help it.
Last edited by username4878202; 1 month ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't have strong feelings either way. Am very protective in terms of criticisms of either country, tho.
Azurika
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love my country dearly, even though it does often feel like a mess. On the other hand, though, there's loads I love about other countries, and it would feel unfair for me to not recognise those qualities.

Oh, and we suck at Eurovision.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Patriotic when it suits me, so i'll fight the English when they come.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TOUCH MY WELSH DRAGON AND I'LL BLOODY HAVE YOU
Yeah... I'd say I am fairly patriotic.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean rule Britannia and all that but i've developed a serious dislike for little englanders. They are the height of irritating, nevermind deeply unpatriotic (irony abounds there, no?)
MillennialX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Switch01)
I like fish and chips and support the England team during the World Cup.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My parents came to England from Sri Lanka over 40 years ago. I don't feel patriotic towards either country, tbh. I wouldn't call myself English (I love the BBC Proms but there's no way you'll catch me singing 'Rule Britannia' or 'Land of Hope and Glory') but equally, I wouldn't call myself Sinhalese (I don't speak the language, enjoy the food, or particularly like visiting the country).

I'm fiercely loyal to London and identify as British Asian :bhangra: If people ask where I'm from, the answer is London :banana: :ahee: :smug:
Kernel_Coder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not patriotic at all. I think it's an outdated concept. Capitalism beat Patriotism a long, long time ago. We all like to pay the least for everything whilst continuously increasing our standard of living, and that requires global cooperation.

All are one under the US dollar, or whatever currency replaces it during the inevitable world government. The Pandora's box of global capitalism cannot be closed once opened, I believe this will ultimately conclude with a world government, it's the logical outcome of ever increasing efficiency and optimisation.
Last edited by Kernel_Coder; 1 month ago
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In the sense that at the moment I couldn't really imagine myself living anywhere else, sure. I do genuinely like the place n support engerland in the world cup n think I vow to thee, my country is a bit of a banger.

Buuuuuttt that's sorta where it ends, I don't particularly care about the queen or the flag or the national anthem or any of that malarky. I also think our food's worse than the rest of Europe in most cases.
Neilos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fairly patriotic... always support England/UK teams in sporting events, though I don't always support British individual sportspeople. Feel pride in the country, and what the British society as a whole is, the attitudes and what the people do. And in the absence of any detail, whenever some contentious issue arises my default mindset is that my country did the right thing... though obviously that can change when detail is known.
ron202
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My family is from the Caribbean and i'm not patriotic to the UK at all. I love the country where my parents are from but I fully acknowledge that it's a sh^t hole for a number of different reasons. I identify as Black British but I don't care much about the UK and I understand the history of how Europeans have and continue to exploit black people to their advantage. On top of that I also recognize that I am somewhat privileged by being born in the UK compared to where my parents are born but I also think that non white immigrants and their decedents to the UK or other developed European and majority white countries are part of the problem of brain drain which contributes to the underdevelopment of countries where those immigrants come from so in my particular case I think being patriotic to Britain is a bad thing because it can stop us from collectively doing more to help out the poorer nations where our families came from
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not, really. not a flag-waving, god save the queen sort, anyway. But there's a lot of good here and that deserves defending and being fought for, actually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads