The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to move to a uni miles away from home where you don`t know anyone?e?

I planned on going to the university of gloustershire to study biology, but i`m tempted to move further away so i can go to a uni where some friends are going (hull). is that a bad idea?
My advice is to never pick a university because of someone else. Always think about if this university offers you what you want- the course, the student life etc. A friend of mine moved away from home and knew absolutely no one and she’s very shy, but she made friends so easily at uni. The majority of people won’t know anyone else there, so you’re all in the same boat and it’s easy to make friends.
Original post by Bethaney (blue)
I planned on going to the university of gloustershire to study biology, but i`m tempted to move further away so i can go to a uni where some friends are going (hull). is that a bad idea?

As another poster said, never pick a university just because you know someone else going there. University is a whole new chapter, and just because your friends are going to the same university, doesn't mean that they'll remain close friends and not meet new people who they prefer to hang out with.

I think it's easier to reinvent and be yourself when you go somewhere where you know no one, and helps build your independence. Also, you don't want your embarrassing school stories following you everywhere you go...
Reply 3
Original post by Bethaney (blue)

Nope its not a bad idea unless you like the course, the area and your uni. You will eventually find new friends (same with them), and can meet up whenever you all are back home. You should never pick uni because of friends (they have different needs to you, and if applying to different course than them you may find that your course isnt as good).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending