mot111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello I currently received my result from CCEA a Northern Irish exam board for AS lower sixth , being my first year of a levels for history. This year is worth 40% and then next year in upper sixth is worth 60%

My Russian paper I got a grade C so I am happy enough with that however my German paper , i received a grade U .

The Russian paper is all essay based knowledge so it was just recalling time periods in an essay which I am very good at, however Germany paper was all source based questions and you had to use the source plus your own knowledge and analyse and discuss why situations happened the way they did and how useful or not useful the source was etc .

Could somebody please offer me advice on how to answer source questions as even though the information is already in front of me on the exam it’s the applying my own knowledge and discussing in depth really let’s me down .

Thank you
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mot111)
Hello I currently received my result from CCEA a Northern Irish exam board for AS lower sixth , being my first year of a levels for history. This year is worth 40% and then next year in upper sixth is worth 60%

My Russian paper I got a grade C so I am happy enough with that however my German paper , i received a grade U .

The Russian paper is all essay based knowledge so it was just recalling time periods in an essay which I am very good at, however Germany paper was all source based questions and you had to use the source plus your own knowledge and analyse and discuss why situations happened the way they did and how useful or not useful the source was etc .

Could somebody please offer me advice on how to answer source questions as even though the information is already in front of me on the exam it’s the applying my own knowledge and discussing in depth really let’s me down .

Thank you
I suspect it would pay you to resit your Germany paper next year, but it really depends on pinning down your skills in source-based analysis.

The key is to set the source according to its period and its authorship. If, for example, I had the poster below in front of me,
Name:  dein KdF.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  42.3 KB
I might have a question which asked, "How reliable is this German poster from 1937 for an understanding of social policy in 1930s? The words read 'Your KdF [Kraft durch Freude] car. Information at all KdF offices'."

Think about the issues of reliability -- bias, propoganda, etc. -- but also does it really reflect the lives of German people in the post-Nuremberg laws era? Who is included, who is excluded? Was Kraft durch Freude realistic in a Germany involved in massive rearmament? Is the ideal of German success available at the time, i.e. although you could get information at KdF offices, you never got the car!

You basically have to tailor your knowledge to the source and the source to your knowledge, whilst analyzing it in terms of usefulness. Have you been taught the key things to look out for in your analysis?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads