A level remark cost - my 6th form is charging £70 instead of the true cost of £51

Watch
cuddly kittens
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My school have said that the charge for a remark of my A level paper is £70 per paper. I have checked the AQA website, and the true cost is £51, so my school are adding £19 per paper hidden admin fee. I have to get 3 papers remarked, as I am 5 marks out of 300 off a B, which I need. That means school are making £57 profit out of my misery. Is anyone else being fleeced, or are most 6th forms being fair in their charges, and charging the true cost. I need to submit my form and payment by Wednesday 21st. I am disgusted, but don't feel I have a choice.
Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Write a letter to your school saying that^ maybe more formal. Because that ain’t fair on u and everyone els needing a remark .
Lilysmithxoxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get your parents to complain to the school parents r good at that stuff
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cuddly kittens)
My school have said that the charge for a remark of my A level paper is £70 per paper. I have checked the AQA website, and the true cost is £51, so my school are adding £19 per paper hidden admin fee. I have to get 3 papers remarked, as I am 5 marks out of 300 off a B, which I need. That means school are making £57 profit out of my misery. Is anyone else being fleeced, or are most 6th forms being fair in their charges, and charging the true cost. I need to submit my form and payment by Wednesday 21st. I am disgusted, but don't feel I have a choice.
Could it be you are no longer a pupil and a member of staff has to take time doing the admin?
Why not offer to diy?
Make a complaint if you feel its excessive.
sulaimanali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
maybe it's an admin fee? some schools do this...
Aloebdhdh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school has no charge. We pay wat's on the website. You need to name and shame your sixth form if they actually tried to finess you like that.
username4889668
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Admin fee
Apachecow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think £19 is an unreasonable admin fee for the college to charge for the work outside of what they are paid to do. You're no longer a pupil, this is extra work over and above.
cuddly kittens
Rep:
?
I would love to know if anyone else's 6th form or school are charging such a high admin fee. I have checked with friends at two other 6th forms, and they are being charged the normal stated fee on the AQA website, without any hidden costs on top. I also dislike that the school have not stated its an admin fee, they have said the AQA cost is £70, so they are trying to hide their profit. I am getting copies of 5 scripts, and having 3 papers re-marked, I fill out the paper work, and return it to school with a cheque paid to the school. School only gather up everyone's paper work and stick it in one envelope to AQA on Wednesday. They are charging £5 extra per script too on top of the AQA price, so the total profit they will make from me alone is £72, if you times that by 100 students for example, they are making £7200 profit, when realistically it is very little work for them.
cuddly kittens
Rep:
?
PS The AQA website says it has to go via school, I can not apply directly.
davidskis17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my school charged me £60 per paper and i was wondering why they charged extra too (AQA biology)
Apachecow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
so the total profit they will make from me alone is £72, if you times that by 100 students for example, they are making £7200 profit, when realistically it is very little work for them.
1. You don't understand the concept of 'profit'.
2. Unless you are a massive 6th form it won't be anything like 100 remarks. I only know 1 person who got one when I was there (800 pupils).
3. £19 is about an hour of supply teacher's time.

Generally the college requests a copy of the exam script, goes through that and then goes on to ask for a re-mark if appropriate. All this takes staff time and effort. Once you've been to university you'll see you don't get a lot of professional time for less than £20.......
Freelance writer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
sad reality Ofcourse. But in case you need help in your you get in touch. I can help
cephid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would love to know if anyone else's 6th form or school are charging such a high admin fee. I have checked with friends at two other 6th forms, and they are being charged the normal stated fee on the AQA website, without any hidden costs on top. I also dislike that the school have not stated its an admin fee, they have said the AQA cost is £70, so they are trying to hide their profit. I am getting copies of 5 scripts, and having 3 papers re-marked, I fill out the paper work, and return it to school with a cheque paid to the school. School only gather up everyone's paper work and stick it in one envelope to AQA on Wednesday. They are charging £5 extra per script too on top of the AQA price, so the total profit they will make from me alone is £72, if you times that by 100 students for example, they are making £7200 profit, when realistically it is very little work for them.
Have a look at the trainers or shoes you wear. Think about the cost of the clothes you wear Is anyone making a profit there? You need to be realistic here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (1)
4.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (4)
17.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
13.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
13.04%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (9)
39.13%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (3)
13.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed