The Student Room Group
I think it would be because it costs a lot to rent and actually run your own private clinic. Then you do require patients which will come through advertisements! But what’s the point in going to a private dentistry when the NHS one would be cheaper and free for kids? I would like to do dentistry and I’m just a passerby giving opinions whether they be great or not but I’m also interested the same as you in why a private dentist gets more overall but dentists usually work at the NHS too!
I have heard that when you come out of university with a dentistry degree on the first year(training to work with the NHS) you get £40k.
Original post by ilyas.100
I’ve recently read online that dentists who work solely private can earn up to £140k whilst dentists working for the NHS will earn you around £70k. If this is the case, why don’t all dentists work just privately and earn around 2x more?

Sorry if this is a silly question lol

A dentist can have a mix of NHS and PRIVATE work and earn more than £140k. Private income is harder to generate because patients have to choose to come and have their private treatment with you whereas NHS income is more reliable even though it generates you less money. NHS patients choose the practice they go to but they don't have much control over the dentist they see whereas for private treatment patients choose who they want to see.

To be doing well as a fully private dentist you need to have built a reputation that keeps patients choosing to come and see you. Building reputation takes time

Latest

Trending

Trending