I have ADHD, if I don't finish my dis tomorrow can I move on? Watch

joinedtosaythis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I came to the student room tonight I was looking at "how fast can you write" questions, a form of morbid curiousity I get in this situation. So, I've been working on my eng lit dissertation for two years, and I only finally now got anywhere. But still not fast enough. Monday afternoon is my final ever deadline, an extension on an extension on an extension etc. Even though I'm closer than I've ever been I still can't find that focus and comprehension I need. So if I do submit it will likely be very poor quality (messy and incomprehensible) and under the word count. It's miserable to let myself down and those who have supported me. I understand now that this format of rigorous academia was not suited to me-I've done very well grade wise, good enough for my standards, but I've suffered greatly. Maybe if this post just gives an education to people how hard people with executive dysfunction try and how upset we can get about it that at least might help someone else. As it stands I'm probably neurologically incapable of doing what I need to do and it just...sucks. I have other talents but I've been forced down this narrow path of achievement by myself and society's expectation.

My questions are, has anyone else been in this position, how do I move on from this, and has my effort and my degree been for nothing or can I only take my friendships and experiences away from uni?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by joinedtosaythis)
I came to the student room tonight I was looking at "how fast can you write" questions, a form of morbid curiousity I get in this situation. So, I've been working on my eng lit dissertation for two years, and I only finally now got anywhere. But still not fast enough. Monday afternoon is my final ever deadline, an extension on an extension on an extension etc. Even though I'm closer than I've ever been I still can't find that focus and comprehension I need. So if I do submit it will likely be very poor quality (messy and incomprehensible) and under the word count. It's miserable to let myself down and those who have supported me. I understand now that this format of rigorous academia was not suited to me-I've done very well grade wise, good enough for my standards, but I've suffered greatly. Maybe if this post just gives an education to people how hard people with executive dysfunction try and how upset we can get about it that at least might help someone else. As it stands I'm probably neurologically incapable of doing what I need to do and it just...sucks. I have other talents but I've been forced down this narrow path of achievement by myself and society's expectation.

My questions are, has anyone else been in this position, how do I move on from this, and has my effort and my degree been for nothing or can I only take my friendships and experiences away from uni?
i'd submit what you can so perhaps you have a chance of finishing your degree. i know it's difficult when neurotypical people seem to do something so easily so you think you can't do something but doesn't mean you never can (i m dyslexic and dyspraxic so although my concentration is near normal but i can understand how difficult it is not to compare yourself to "normal" people) . what do you feel your other talents are? i found my conditions perhaps gave me my high level of empathy and problem solving skills.
joinedtosaythis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
i'd submit what you can so perhaps you have a chance of finishing your degree. i know it's difficult when neurotypical people seem to do something so easily so you think you can't do something but doesn't mean you never can (i m dyslexic and dyspraxic so although my concentration is near normal but i can understand how difficult it is not to compare yourself to "normal" people) . what do you feel your other talents are? i found my conditions perhaps gave me my high level of empathy and problem solving skills.
I'm super creative-I have so many ideas. It can be crippling in academia but I wouldn't change it. And yeah, I'm happy to finish even though its not what I would have hoped for. I try not to have the running dialogue of "be normal". My mentor always said "be kind to yourself" every time we met and sometimes it made me mad to hear even though it was always the right thing to hear. Thanks for your understanding, it's good to hear from someone somewhere even if our circumstances are different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads