The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do 3 A levels whilst 2 GCSEs

I didn't really do well in GCSEs due to not revising being lazy most of my time and I ended up in college studying 2 years of a level 3 IT whilst resitting course which I never really wanted to do and I felt like there was nothing for me to achieve out of that. I was thinking of maybe doing a fast track A level course online whilst doing a GCSE Maths and English resit in a college as a part time course. From what I have known most unis only look for maths and english and maybe science depending on what you want to study at uni, some unis don't even need GCSEs either.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by catchalick13
I didn't really do well in GCSEs due to not revising being lazy most of my time and I ended up in college studying 2 years of a level 3 IT whilst resitting course which I never really wanted to do and I felt like there was nothing for me to achieve out of that. I was thinking of maybe doing a fast track A level course online whilst doing a GCSE Maths and English resit in a college as a part time course. From what I have known most unis only look for maths and english and maybe science depending on what you want to study at uni, some unis don't even need GCSEs either.

The short answer is yes and no. If you were to want to do a-level maths, i don't know if any colleges will let you do that without the GCSE. However, if you are going to do other courses that don't require GCSE maths or english as entry requirements, i don't see why that wouldn't be okay. The only exception to this that i've found is distance a-levels, they don't have entry requirements, they just 'recommend' what sort of grades you should have to pass.

Please give me an upvote!
Reply 2
The answer is yes, depending on how old you are. For those still at school it might not be easy, but for anyone over 18 then yes it is. The only problem at adult education is proving that you have the level of knowledge to do the A levels. I've been in GCSE classes with people doing university degrees, or having firm college offers awaiting that C grade for English or Maths.

At the college I went to one had to do an assessment for English and maths to find out what level you were at to get into either class, but this may change depending on the college. I suggest you find your local place and have a word with them there.

As for online A levels, there are websites that do do online learning, but I have yet to find their Ofsted reports, so I'm a bit dubious in spending the cash to do such a course.

If you want to do a degree, without having the qualifications, then have a look at the Open University website. It is distance learning in the most part, with some onsite learning for certain courses. For the degree I would like to do it is £18K instead of the usual £27K. You can do the degree either full time, or part time etc. They also do financial help etc. It means you can work as well as study, so ideal for folks who can't afford the normal university route.

Never say never, just find the right pathway that suits you, most of all DON'T GIVE UP ON IT.

Quick Reply

Latest