The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying to LSE after dropping out of first year uni

Hi guys,

I was wondering what my chances are of getting a place at LSE after dropping out of my course at Durham. I was born in London and thought Durham would be a nice change of environment and a new experience, but I really haven't enjoyed first year and despite passing my exams I've decided to drop out. Also suffered with mental health problems. Really want to return to London to study after taking a year out. Achieved A*AA at A-Level (Maths, Further Maths, and Physics) and 5A*s and 7As at GCSE (don't know if that's particularly relevant to applying to university anyway) and was wondering how likely I am to get a place on a Maths + Economics course (I haven't decided what exact course I want to apply to yet). Would apply this coming UCAS cycle (September 2019). How does the university view 'drop-outs'? Is it a big turnoff for the admissions team? Am I at a big disadvantage because I did the old A-Levels and I'd be two years removed from sixth form?

Thanks in advance
Being a mature student wouldn't be a disadvantage (nor an advantage) if for no other reason than legally they can't discriminate against applicants on the basis of age.

As for leaving your current course, they aren't specific about applications for the first year of a programme there; they just state they consider such applications. If you did very well in your course that may be favourable, otherwise it may well work against you. However they indicate applications tor entry into the second are only considered in exceptional circumstances and indicate generally it's extremely competitive and dependent on vacancies arising on the programme(s) in question (i.e. students dropping out after first year at LSE, or perhaps changing course internally to another programme).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Being a mature student wouldn't be a disadvantage (nor an advantage) if for no other reason than legally they can't discriminate against applicants on the basis of age.

As for leaving your current course, they aren't specific about applications for the first year of a programme there; they just state they consider such applications. If you did very well in your course that may be favourable, otherwise it may well work against you. However they indicate applications tor entry into the second are only considered in exceptional circumstances and indicate generally it's extremely competitive and dependent on vacancies arising on the programme(s) in question (i.e. students dropping out after first year at LSE, or perhaps changing course internally to another programme).

So do they look into my first year performance if I'm applying from scratch, as in entering as a first year student? My grades weren't amazing at all (I pretty much passed all my modules by the bare minimum), but as I stated I'd probably fall under the 'extenuating circumstance' category
I wonder if you'd actually have to declare your grades from Durham. @artful_lounger Would OP have to tell LSE everything about Durham? Could they just not apply with their A level grades and potentially mention going to Durham but dropping out due to extenuating circumstances and change of interest in degree?

OP, what course were you doing at Durham? What course would you want to be doing at LSE?
Hiii
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
I wonder if you'd actually have to declare your grades from Durham. @artful_lounger Would OP have to tell LSE everything about Durham? Could they just not apply with their A level grades and potentially mention going to Durham but dropping out due to extenuating circumstances and change of interest in degree?

OP, what course were you doing at Durham? What course would you want to be doing at LSE?

BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics. At Durham I was on the Natural Sciences program, composed mainly of maths but I also did a physics module. I did 5 20 credit Maths modules and 1 40 credit Physics module

I think they'd need to at least declare their overall result (e.g. passed year with x% or something). I don't know if they'd need to declare module results...@PQ ?

Original post by Anonymous
So do they look into my first year performance if I'm applying from scratch, as in entering as a first year student? My grades weren't amazing at all (I pretty much passed all my modules by the bare minimum), but as I stated I'd probably fall under the 'extenuating circumstance' category

However presumably they want to know how you cope with university level academic work, at least in relevant areas (e.g. maths) to the degree you're applying to. If you failed all your first year maths modules at Durham and want to apply to a maths/economics course at LSE they're probably going to be a little wary of that (what's to suggest the same wouldn't happen in LSE's maths modules?), unless you have extenuating circumstances perhaps. Your academic reference might be able to clarify this in your favour, hopefully...
(edited 4 years ago)
BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics. At Durham I was on the Natural Sciences program, composed mainly of maths but I also did a physics module. I did 5 20 credit Maths modules and 1 40 credit Physics module

What did you get for those Maths modules? I might mention them if you did well. If you didn't do well, however, I might just not mention them. Or, you could just briefly mention them on your personal statement saying how although you enrolled on the Nat Science degree, you found that you loved the Maths modules the most and how you could apply them to your interests in finance and data science/statistics. Ergo, applying for a new degree at LSE.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you have to tell LSE about your grades at Durham. Surely, you could simply apply on your A level grades and PS since you're not transferring courses?
Original post by artful_lounger
I think they'd need to at least declare their overall result (e.g. passed year with x% or something). I don't know if they'd need to declare module results...@PQ ?

I don't have any background in this so I could be completely wrong (apologies if so) but I would've assumed that OP could perhaps briefly mention Durham on the PS (or not) and apply solely on their A level grades. Since they're not transferring and instead applying as a fresh student, would the Durham information be necessary? It'd be desirable, of course, but could OP just not pretend it never happened or just not mention the grades (extenuating circumstances)? Or, would they legally be obliged to declare literally everything?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
I didn't perform amazingly in those maths modules it has to be said, but as I stated being fundamentally unhappy at the university as well as other extenuating circumstances definitely affected my performance. I got ~45% in of them (40% being a pass). I'd rather not have to declare my time at Durham if I'm being honest and just apply from scratch, but I don't know if that's an option
I don't have any background in this so I could be completely wrong (apologies if so) but I would've assumed that OP could perhaps mention Durham on the PS (or not) and apply solely on their A level grades. Since they're not transferring and instead applying as a fresh student, would the Durham information be necessary? It'd be desirable, of course, but could OP just not pretend it never happened or just not mention the grades (extenuating circumstances)? Or, would they legally be obliged to declare literally everything?

They're required to declare all exam entries so I think this would include any prior university study, else the application can be voided. When I applied to Exe from Southampton, even though I was applying for first year entry I still declared my prior study at Southampton, although I didn't really know if I had to. That said, I didn't give a full breakdown of my module results; I just indicated which I passed and which I didn't.

However Southampton to Exe was a lateral jump, or actually given the departments I was moving between, a step down arguably. OP may need to consider the possibility they will have to "downgrade" when choosing a London uni to apply to, unless they take a couple years out and perhaps apply later after completing some more recent study.
(edited 4 years ago)
I didn't perform amazingly in those maths modules it has to be said, but as I stated being fundamentally unhappy at the university as well as other extenuating circumstances definitely affected my performance. I got ~45% in of them (40% being a pass). I'd rather not have to declare my time at Durham if I'm being honest and just apply from scratch, but I don't know if that's an option

From what @artful_lounger is saying it sounds that you may potentially have to declare your grades. That said, if I were you, I might contact UCAS and personally ask for clarification.

If they confirm this, I might contact the undergraduate admission's team for the LSE course and briefly state your situation and say how primarily due to health you performed poorly at Durham but still managed to pass (given the circumstances). Furthermore, having come back home to London, your health/wellbeing has improved and your enthusiasm for studying has returned, especially having had a look at the more finance-orientated courses which better align with your future aspirations/career. Ask them if you would be advisable for you to apply.

As an aside, how are things with you regarding health?
(edited 4 years ago)
I would say don't over think it and simply apply. I would declare my grades as passing unless asked.. Just be honest..i would realistically though since you will have 5 choices also apply to other London uni's you could be happy with.

LSE
KCL
UCL

As your risky choices...

Then maybe

City
Royal Holloway

As your safety choices.

I don't see how your profile would put you at a disadvantage...your grades are barely old by any sense of imagination and you don't have a huge gap. I would just emphasise your unique passion for your course and why living in London is important to you. Just make them feel like they are getting someone highly motivated that knows what they want from the course and let them know how your chosen course will help you achieve your lster goals.

I mean the good thing is they know what to expect... If they make you an offer, they know you will likely accept it. Your alot less risky then students who are given conditionals.
I wouldn't mention my mental health though for LSE personally... If anything mention that Durhams environment was too rural and made you miss London.
(edited 4 years ago)
You must declare your study at Durham at least as a CertHE (check if they’ll give you this award). Lse may well ask for a transcript if you don’t declare your module results.

I would recommend speaking to your Durham tutor about a reference. A reference from a university academic explaining that you were unhappy outside London and this affected your motivation for study and performance (but recommending you for study in London) would be extremely helpful.

LSE are looking for potential and motivation - making a mistake and then taking action to make things right isn’t going to be a negative.
Original post by PQ
You must declare your study at Durham at least as a CertHE (check if they’ll give you this award). Lse may well ask for a transcript if you don’t declare your module results.

I would recommend speaking to your Durham tutor about a reference. A reference from a university academic explaining that you were unhappy outside London and this affected your motivation for study and performance (but recommending you for study in London) would be extremely helpful.

LSE are looking for potential and motivation - making a mistake and then taking action to make things right isn’t going to be a negative.

Thanks for the reply. Do these circumstances significantly reduce my chances of receiving an offer?
Thanks for the reply. Do these circumstances significantly reduce my chances of receiving an offer?

Nope. But if you’re worried then talk to LSE directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending