asdfghjklaud
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
to start off with, the medical career is the only one i can see myself doing and not have fears about being miserable. i’ve worked so hard to get accepted into medical school!

however, there is one daunting thing on my mind: the concept of having to constantly move around the country for placements. the concept of that makes me absolutely terrified and it’s not something i can see myself coping with. of course, staying within the county is completely fine (and something i’m praying for) but i don’t think i can manage otherwise.

also, i’m not necessarily talking about med school! it’s more about FY1 and 2, and wherever i would go from there. do you think it would be possible for me to stay in roughly the same place for the duration of those years?

thank you so much in advance!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asdfghjklaud)
to start off with, the medical career is the only one i can see myself doing and not have fears about being miserable. i’ve worked so hard to get accepted into medical school!

however, there is one daunting thing on my mind: the concept of having to constantly move around the country for placements. the concept of that makes me absolutely terrified and it’s not something i can see myself coping with. of course, staying within the county is completely fine (and something i’m praying for) but i don’t think i can manage otherwise.

also, i’m not necessarily talking about med school! it’s more about FY1 and 2, and wherever i would go from there. do you think it would be possible for me to stay in roughly the same place for the duration of those years?

thank you so much in advance!
Obviously as someone who haven't entered med school yet (I take it that's your stage) being a junior doctor will seem daunting, but to most final year med students it would almost seem natural that you progress onto being a doctor.

During med school you'll be progressively exposed to patients, learning communication and theories behind diseases; as well as investigations and management of conditions.

As a rule, FY1 doctors are very well supported. The GMC knows this hence it's "pre registration" and FY1s can work in a supported environment only. If after FY2 you're still not sure you can always take a year out (or two or three!) to see what you'd like. Most med students change their mind about what they want to do, specialty wise.

One more thing, if you score high enough you may stay at the same hospital or City for FY1 and FY2, but even the alternative you shouldn't be travelling too far. It will be in the same "sub region" so you wouldn't be doing Birmingham FY1-Manchester FY2 for example. It would be something like Leeds FY1-Bradford FY2.

Good luck and enjoy the med school experience. Don't worry about things that's more than 5 years away.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
asdfghjklaud
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Obviously as someone who haven't entered med school yet (I take it that's your stage) being a junior doctor will seem daunting, but to most final year med students it would almost seem natural that you progress onto being a doctor.

During med school you'll be progressively exposed to patients, learning communication and theories behind diseases; as well as investigations and management of conditions.

As a rule, FY1 doctors are very well supported. The GMC knows this hence it's "pre registration" and FY1s can work in a supported environment only. If after FY2 you're still not sure you can always take a year out (or two or three!) to see what you'd like. Most med students change their mind about what they want to do, specialty wise.

One more thing, if you score high enough you may stay at the same hospital or City for FY1 and FY2, but even the alternative you shouldn't be travelling too far. It will be in the same "sub region" so you wouldn't be doing Birmingham FY1-Manchester FY2 for example. It would be something like Leeds FY1-Bradford FY2.

Good luck and enjoy the med school experience. Don't worry about things that's more than 5 years away.
thank you so much! i know that they wouldn’t throw me miiiiiiles away for FY1 and 2, i’m just worried about being placed in a sub-region away from home which i feel will be what’ll happen because i won’t score high enough. i actually got in last year, into a foundation course, but was too scared to call adjustment and change onto a 5-year course in case i lost my place (i had no clue how it worked). i’ve heard that for example, taking a year out to intercalate will increase the likelihood of me scoring high enough but i literally won’t be able to afford it with only a certain amount of years covered by student finance. my family isn’t well off at all, and i sometimes even have to support them financially from my maintenance loan, so they can’t do much for me in that aspect.

i just feel like i have no chances of staying close(ish) to home which will be agonising for me since i’m struggling with it even now, at uni 🥺
Last edited by asdfghjklaud; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asdfghjklaud)
thank you so much! i know that they wouldn’t throw me miiiiiiles away for FY1 and 2, i’m just worried about being placed in a sub-region away from home which i feel will be what’ll happen because i won’t score high enough. i actually got in last year, into a foundation course, but was too scared to call adjustment and change onto a 5-year course in case i lost my place (i had no clue how it worked). i’ve heard that for example, taking a year out to intercalate will increase the likelihood of me scoring high enough but i literally won’t be able to afford it with only a certain amount of years covered by student finance. my family isn’t well off at all, and i sometimes even have to support them financially from my maintenance loan, so they can’t do much for me in that aspect.

i just feel like i have no chances of staying close(ish) to home which will be agonising for me since i’m struggling with it even now, at uni 🥺
Even if you're from London (two of the most competitive foundation schools = North West Thames FS and North East and Central Thames FS), the alternatives are not that far away (South Thames FS, usually one year London one year away).
Tabathaxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you can do 5 years at medical school whihc is tough I think you will find you will be such a different person by the end of it that you will actually be able to cope with a move if you have to ! the best quote here is don't worry about somwthjng that is 5 years away ! and please don't let your financial situation put you off .. look out for unis that offer additional bursaries etc .. these can really add up !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads