Is it possible to self teach maths A level in 1 year? Watch

Alexande_0
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone done this before?
I got my a levels in 2015 and after getting aB in AS maths, everything went downhill in A2 and I came out with a D.
I am applying for uni in 2020 and want to boost my grade to further my chances of getting into a good university.
I am considering self teaching or doing distance learning to improve my grade. I will also have support from someone who got an A* in Maths and FM(if I remember correctly).
What I want to know is if anyone has done this and could also provide any resources they used to study this.
Thank you!
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did biology this year. Normally you study 3 A-levels in two years, so one in one year (as opposed to one and a half) should be feasible, even allowing for some extra difficulty as it is maths. I bought a course from Open Study College but wouldn't really recommend them, at least the biology material was pretty badly layed out. My sister used Oxford Open Learning for English and they were really good, helpful tutors and all.
Alexande_0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
I did biology this year. Normally you study 3 A-levels in two years, so one in one year (as opposed to one and a half) should be feasible, even allowing for some extra difficulty as it is maths. I bought a course from Open Study College but wouldn't really recommend them, at least the biology material was pretty badly layed out. My sister used Oxford Open Learning for English and they were really good, helpful tutors and all.
Hey thanks for the reply! I was planning on redoing chemistry but struggled to find a place to do practicals, how did you get yours done?(if you don’t mind me asking)
Also, with regards to booking exams, since I am doing it for 2020, when do I need to register? Do I do it myself or would the distance learning provider do this?
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alexande_0)
Hey thanks for the reply! I was planning on redoing chemistry but struggled to find a place to do practicals, how did you get yours done?(if you don’t mind me asking)
Also, with regards to booking exams, since I am doing it for 2020, when do I need to register? Do I do it myself or would the distance learning provider do this?
Usually the distance learning provider can recommend a few places for you to sit the exam (though you still have to phone them up and register yourself), supposedly ones they have a deal with and so which offer cheaper prices, but personally I found the prices to be pretty much the same and used Tutors and Exams as they had a centre close to me. You can look here for schools AQA lists as accepting private candidates:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ool-or-college
You can register up until March or so, but at least my centre charges late fees from January and very late from the spring. So Sept/Oct would be safest.

Issue with the practicals is the expense - mine would've cost me £1000, which I couldn't afford, so I contacted the universities I was applying to and thankfully they said I didn't need to do the practicals. You might want to try the same thing. Otherwise you'd just need to ask the centres. Hope this helps! And don't hesitate if you have any other questions
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually the distance learning provider can recommend a few places for you to sit the exam (though you still have to phone them up and register yourself), supposedly ones they have a deal with and so which offer cheaper prices, but personally I found the prices to be pretty much the same and used Tutors and Exams as they had a centre close to me. You can look here for schools AQA lists as accepting private candidates:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ool-or-college
You can register up until March or so, but at least my centre charges late fees from January and very late from the spring. So Sept/Oct would be safest.

Issue with the practicals is the expense - mine would've cost me £1000, which I couldn't afford, so I contacted the universities I was applying to and thankfully they said I didn't need to do the practicals. You might want to try the same thing. Otherwise you'd just need to ask the centres. Hope this helps! And don't hesitate if you have any other questions
Hi! Thank you for some interesting points, I don't mean to pry, but I was just wondering which course this is for and which universities? I am a graduate applying for medicine and I have a Biology degree, so I'm self-studying Chemistry and Physics in a year and just hoping that B.Sc. level practical experience will check their box!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by epiones-daughter)
Hi! Thank you for some interesting points, I don't mean to pry, but I was just wondering which course this is for and which universities? I am a graduate applying for medicine and I have a Biology degree, so I'm self-studying Chemistry and Physics in a year and just hoping that B.Sc. level practical experience will check their box!
Of course you're not prying! My application was for Ecology/Zoology. I'll be going to Exeter, but also applied to and received offers from Sussex, Reading, Aberdeen and Southampton.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GOD NO, way too much effort.
Just do a foundation degree at UNI and don't bother redoing A-level; they barely help you at UNI and are too much work/stress.
Last edited by rimstone; 1 month ago
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course you're not prying! My application was for Ecology/Zoology. I'll be going to Exeter, but also applied to and received offers from Sussex, Reading, Aberdeen and Southampton.
Omg I just graduated from the Biology/Ecology/Zoology pathway from Southampton! Any questions about a course like that PLS lemme know I LOVED it xx
Last edited by epiones-daughter; 1 month ago
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Omg I just graduated from the Biology/Ecology/Zoology pathway from Southampton! Any questions about a course like that PLS lemme know I LOVED it xx
Oh that's cool! What's the project in 3rd year like?
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh that's cool! What's the project in 3rd year like?
I actually was able to go to a local museum and work on some Eocene (29-31MYA) insects for my dissertation, I used them as climate indicators for my work and was able to, with use of other fossils, disseminate what the climate of the Isle of Wight would have been like during that time SPOILER ALERT it was tropical and very exciting, some would say less so than today!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually was able to go to a local museum and work on some Eocene (29-31MYA) insects for my dissertation, I used them as climate indicators for my work and was able to, with use of other fossils, disseminate what the climate of the Isle of Wight would have been like during that time SPOILER ALERT it was tropical and very exciting, some would say less so than today!
Wow, that sounds amazing! Do you have the whole year to work on your dissertation, or how does it work?
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, that sounds amazing! Do you have the whole year to work on your dissertation, or how does it work?
I was able to work on my dissertation for a year! Some others depending on their focus (statistics or ecology) had between a year and 9 months! ☺️ luckily for me I was one of the only people who wanted to work in a museum compared to going abroad etc!
DysfunctionalMe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I self taught maths AS in four weeks over the summer before year 13. Just got my results back and got a solid A. If edexcel hadn’t screwed everyone around and changed the style of questions without adequate resources to prepare from, I think it’d have been possible to get an A*. It isn’t easy and you have to be prepared to consistently dedicate extra time to revise maths compared to the subjects that you’re doing over two years, but as long as you have a solid base understanding and a relatively decent textbook, it’s possible. Past papers and mark schemes with detailed explanations are your friend. Good luck!
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was able to work on my dissertation for a year! Some others depending on their focus (statistics or ecology) had between a year and 9 months! ☺️ luckily for me I was one of the only people who wanted to work in a museum compared to going abroad etc!
So do you actually have lectures etc in your third year? Or are you focusing entirely on your dissertation? Did those who went abroad, for example, stay away for the whole year? Or could they only do short trips?
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So do you actually have lectures etc in your third year? Or are you focusing entirely on your dissertation? Did those who went abroad, for example, stay away for the whole year? Or could they only do short trips?
Well generally people who went abroad did so in the summer before third year started, and so were back for when semester was on. In terms of contact hours dissertation counted for 2 of our 8 choices other both semesters so we’d only have 3 ‘choices’ worth of contact hours each semester. For example in semester 1 of my final year I had 10 contact hours and in semester two I had 7!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads