will Bristol give me an offer 2020 with these grades? Watch

Sit7687
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On Thursday I got my A level results which were A in Religious studies, B in Drama and theatre studies and C in Government and politics.
My sixth form is part of Bristol’s aspirating state schools list, which means the course I’m interested in lowered it’s requirement to BBB from AAB.
My results are the same ucas points as BBB, but I’ve realised it’s quite likely that Bristol could reject me because I got a C in politics, regardless of me getting an A in RS. The course I’m interested in at the moment is Anthropology which is quite niche (which also hopefully means it won’t be as overwhelmed by applications like other Bristol courses), it’s more linked to Religious studies than politics however both are relevant.

Has anyone been accepted into Bristol 2019 for a course with a higher and a lower grade than the entry requirement? Especially a contextual offer?
Thanks
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not get that C remarked...

You should be able to get in with ABC though... It's roughly BBB.

Do express your passion for Bristol with a bang on personal statement. And don't be afraid to list any struggles you may have had in your persnal life and elude to how hard you've worked to overcome them and plan to do so at uni.

Don't be afraid to apply to 3 RG (or Bristol type uni's) and two safer options.

Remember you have 5 choices.

When i applied i only applied to one RG and tailored my PS statement to my current university (Nottingham). In hindsight though i could have been bolder and applied to more good unis, although Nottingham was my dream uni so it I'm happy. I always just think what if i was rejected my insurance was Royal Holloway but the other uni's i selected were quite poor. So be confident and take risks.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 1 month ago
Sit7687
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Why not get that C remarked...

You should be able to get in with ABC though... It's roughly BBB.

Do express your passion for Bristol with a bang on personal statement. And don't be afraid to list any struggles you may have had in your persnal life and elude to how hard you've worked to overcome them and plan to do so at uni.

Don't be afraid to apply to 3 RG (or Bristol type uni's) and two safer options.

Remember you have 5 choices.

When i applied i only applied to one RG and tailored my PS statement to my current university (Nottingham). In hindsight though i could have been bolder and applied to more good unis, although Nottingham was my dream uni so it I'm happy. I always just think what if i was rejected my insurance was Royal Holloway but the other uni's i selected were quite poor. So be confident and take risks.
I would get the C remarked but it’s quite a low C 😬 I’m only 5-6 marks into the grade boundary so it would be a waste of money.
I would love to apply to other RB unis but I feel like I’d have no chance with ABC? Unless they have the same contextual offer system. Bristol really appeals to me though because it’s only 2 hours away from me and they also offer lots of support through partial bursaries etc if you come from a low income family, so Bristol is where I’d like to go the most at the moment! I will bear your advice in mind, Thank you
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sit7687)
I would get the C remarked but it’s quite a low C 😬 I’m only 5-6 marks into the grade boundary so it would be a waste of money.
I would love to apply to other RB unis but I feel like I’d have no chance with ABC? Unless they have the same contextual offer system. Bristol really appeals to me though because it’s only 2 hours away from me and they also offer lots of support through partial bursaries etc if you come from a low income family, so Bristol is where I’d like to go the most at the moment! I will bear your advice in mind, Thank you
I believe Exeter and I think Southampton also give contextual offers based on your school so all 3 would be worth looking at. Cardiff will probably make you an offer as well so that is 4 RG you can look into. Reading is not far from Bristol so might be an option and Swansea is a 2 hour drive and might be a safe option.. I havent checked whether these universities offer your subject.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bristol (and any Uni asking for specific grades) doesnt do 'points'. You dont have the right grades. You'll get rejected.

A strong PS is worthless if you dont have the evidence of ability - and thats what RG and other 'top' Unis want to see.
Unis might make offers to those with predicted grades lower than the requirements (but they'd expect you to get BBB) - but you have achieved grades that already dont meet that.

Retake Gov and Pol. They'll make you a conditional offer for a B in that subject.
Having a potential profile of ABB will give you are higher application score and therefore far more chance of getting an offer.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol (and any Uni asking for specific grades) doesnt do 'points'. You dont have the right grades. You'll get rejected.

A strong PS is worthless if you dont have the evidence of ability - and thats what RG and other 'top' Unis want to see.
Unis might make offers to those with predicted grades lower than the requirements (but they'd expect you to get BBB) - but you have achieved grades that already dont meet that.

Retake Gov and Pol. They'll make you a conditional offer for a B in that subject.
Having a potential profile of ABB will give you are higher application score and therefore far more chance of getting an offer.
For anthropology though... That course is hardly the hottest subject in the UK, if he was applying for my course management (though disrespected is highly applied for) i would agree.. Further bristol is 20th out of 35 for anthropology that hardly screams flag ship course. I would have to disagree that OP has no shot.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
For anthropology though... That course is hardly the hottest subject in the UK, if he was applying for my course management (though disrespected is highly applied for) i would agree.. Further bristol is 20th out of 35 for anthropology that hardly screams flag ship course. I would have to disagree that OP has no shot.
returnmigrant is an admissions tutor I believe in Bristol so would be very well placed to comment. The problem with all these issues is that universities tend to drop their grades if they dont get filled so it is very difficult to know what they will end up accepting. For example 2 years ago Bristol accepted students with ABB for Law and Exeter accepted ABC for the same subject. It is very likely universities will make offers to OP but what they will end up accepting I dont know. It certainly would be worth a resit or possibly fast tracking another A level in a year to achieve the B.
Sit7687
Rep:
?

Okay I will look into doing that, I think that could be the most beneficial thing for me to do.
I’ve heard of some of my friends being accepted into red bricks when they have slightly missed their offers, so I was hoping Bristol might be known for having a certain amount of flexibility! Even though it is a top 10 university I believe, wishful thinking
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay I will look into doing that, I think that could be the most beneficial thing for me to do.
I’ve heard of some of my friends being accepted into red bricks when they have slightly missed their offers, so I was hoping Bristol might be known for having a certain amount of flexibility! Even though it is a top 10 university I believe, wishful thinking
This was because they took A levels the year they applied - and had already been made an offer. They were accepted in August to make up the numbers. It might seem unfair, but those applying with *achieved grades* cannot be treated in the same way -because the Unis cannot keep you on hold until August.
Sit7687
Rep:
?
This was because they took A levels the year they applied - and had already been made an offer. They were accepted in August to make up the numbers. It might seem unfair, but those applying with *achieved grades* cannot be treated in the same way -because the Unis cannot keep you on hold until August.
Oh no would it make a difference if my college were to provide information on extenuating circumstances?
I basically hadn’t originally planned to take a gap year, but I got Ill during my second year, wasn’t gonna take my exams this year and would do a third year but I decided just to give them a go. My results turned out to be okay, which is why I’ve started considering RB universities and have ditched the idea of retaking! I was predicted CCC throughout all of college so I was pleased to achieve above my predictions ABC whilst I was ill and was not able to do any sufficient prep for my exams! I was hoping to go to Goldsmiths or Oxford Brookes next year, but because I got an A I may have started to get a little ahead of myself thinking about Bristol!
Do you think it’s worth me applying? Or should I call them and try and speak to them before, would they be able to give me any guidance? (Apologies if you work there and you’ve already given me the answer.)
I should Redo my C, but I just had such a horrible time at college and since results day I’ve started looking forward to having a year to get back to full health and reading more around anthropology, without the stress of Retaking an A level. However ‘needs must’ and if that C really proves to be limiting my new found aspirations, I will retake!
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
would it make a difference if my college were to provide information on extenuating circumstances?
No. You have the opportunity to resit - therefore you are expected to resit to get the grades they want.
Trying to plead mitigating circumstances - and taking a gap year - is a bit cheeky.

Its worth your referee mentioning any illness (briefly) as a reason for your resits, but otherwise its not relevant to your new application.
kamal12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Bristol was my insurance choice and I did get a contextual offer. The standard offer was ABB and I did A level Italian in year 12 and got an A. My offer was to get BC (together ABC). You should be fine with ABC as well. My firm choice asked BBB and I got ABC and still accepted me
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kamal12)
Hi! Bristol was my insurance choice and I did get a contextual offer. The standard offer was ABB and I did A level Italian in year 12 and got an A. My offer was to get BC (together ABC). You should be fine with ABC as well. My firm choice asked BBB and I got ABC and still accepted me
Please read my post above - you had a *conditional* offer.
The poster is applying with achieved grades.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yep. the original offer is A*AA. I got a contextual offer of AAB. my results were ABC. I didn't get the course I originally applied for but they offered me an alternative course so I still got into Bristol.
Sit7687
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Please read my post above - you had a *conditional* offer.
The poster is applying with achieved grades.
Do you work for Bristol university?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.91%
Disagree (5)
4.95%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.68%
Agree (40)
39.6%
Strongly Agree (15)
14.85%

Watched Threads