The Student Room Group

Can I raise my grade?

Is it realistic to raise a high C to an A? I got a high C (3 Mark's away from a B) in my As physics, but for my preferred university I'll need an A. I just want to know if its realistic for me to try and raise by two grades, or if I should just apply to different universities with lower grade acceptance.
if you mean raising that grade from as to A-level then yeah its totally possible, i went from ABBC to A*AA, one of my friends went from CDE to ABB, and one stayed the same - ABB, it all depends on your mindset and if your willing to put in the work, as well as make changes to your revision methods, buy new textbooks/revision guides and find what works.
Reply 2
Original post by nintysixthousand
if you mean raising that grade from as to A-level then yeah its totally possible, i went from ABBC to A*AA, one of my friends went from CDE to ABB, and one stayed the same - ABB, it all depends on your mindset and if your willing to put in the work, as well as make changes to your revision methods, buy new textbooks/revision guides and find what works.

Yes, I will resit. I think one of my main errors was also my revision technique. I've never learned the best ways to revise and only know how to cram since GCSE's. For the last year I've been studying really hard but since my technique was cramming, it was very unsustainable for a whole year and not that helpful to be honest. If you have any revision techniques I will be very grateful.
Reply 3
Original post by GGrey28
Is it realistic to raise a high C to an A? I got a high C (3 Mark's away from a B) in my As physics, but for my preferred university I'll need an A. I just want to know if its realistic for me to try and raise by two grades, or if I should just apply to different universities with lower grade acceptance.

(If this is in regards to A-levels) It is possible to raise your grade, i went from a B to an A* in one subject and a D to a B (at AS which eventually became an A at A-level) in another, but it depends on if you are willing to put the work in. However, even if you can raise your grade its safer to choose a backup university with a lower grade acceptance just as an insurance choice. Most people with choose to apply to more than one university even if they are already getting the necessary grades simply because you are not always guaranteed a place.
However, you can definitely raise your grade to increase your chances with your chosen university, you just need to dedicate a lot of time to independent study and revision, especially past papers. If you have a textbook you can also write notes prior to the lesson, then use the lesson to go into more depth and rewrite key elements to make sure you understand.
Original post by GGrey28
Yes, I will resit. I think one of my main errors was also my revision technique. I've never learned the best ways to revise and only know how to cram since GCSE's. For the last year I've been studying really hard but since my technique was cramming, it was very unsustainable for a whole year and not that helpful to be honest. If you have any revision techniques I will be very grateful.

Yes it is very possible to bring up your grades. I went from an E in my January mock to an A* by my mocks in April. An achieved the A* in my final A Level exam this year.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexty28
Yes it is very possible to bring up your grades. I went from an E in my January mock to an A* by my mocks in April. An achieved the A* in my final A Level exam this year.

Thanks for the reply. Seeing so many positive replies really gives me hope!
Reply 6
Original post by Kayles08
(If this is in regards to A-levels) It is possible to raise your grade, i went from a B to an A* in one subject and a D to a B (at AS which eventually became an A at A-level) in another, but it depends on if you are willing to put the work in. However, even if you can raise your grade its safer to choose a backup university with a lower grade acceptance just as an insurance choice. Most people with choose to apply to more than one university even if they are already getting the necessary grades simply because you are not always guaranteed a place.
However, you can definitely raise your grade to increase your chances with your chosen university, you just need to dedicate a lot of time to independent study and revision, especially past papers. If you have a textbook you can also write notes prior to the lesson, then use the lesson to go into more depth and rewrite key elements to make sure you understand.

Thanks for the reply, it really gave me a bit of hope and motivation to better myself and to hopefully achieve those higher grades.
Reply 7
I did it in maths went from D to an A ( actually few more marks and would be an A*), and nearly did it with physics went from C to high B
No tutors, bad school all that jaz... just books and past papers.
If you do those kind of subjects i think the biggest difference this year was that i stopped taking pretty notes just went straight to problems after taking rough notes from lectures.
But obviously worked everyday without a part-time job like many people have.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by xipo7101
I did it in maths went from D to an A ( actually few more marks and would be an A*), and nearly did it with physics went from C to high B
No tutors, bad school all that jaz... just books and past papers.
If you do those kind of subjects i think the biggest difference this year was that i stopped taking pretty notes just went straight to problems after taking rough notes from lectures.
But obviously worked everyday without a part-time job like many people have.

Thanks for the reply. For the last year I've been doing notes and past questions every night, but I feel that technique didn't help for my long term memory, so if you have any other study tips it would be greatly appreciated
Reply 9
Original post by GGrey28
Thanks for the reply. For the last year I've been doing notes and past questions every night, but I feel that technique didn't help for my long term memory, so if you have any other study tips it would be greatly appreciated

I got ya use ankidroid app it's literally hacks. (to help with long term memory)
Watch whole video but you can skip to 14:19 for anki https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLnPbIffxE
Just make sure the stuff you put in there is 100% correct and when you answer questions be very harsh with yourself. For physics i made 500+ flashcards.
Also for sciences at least for aqa there are synoptic exam papers (old old spec), questions there link whole specification together so you keep practising recalling all the information from your brain, that helped me too.

Quick Reply