TWIn2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Well I took my UCAT on Friday. Gutted.
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

I've no idea what went wrong. Nerves I guess?

Advice would be welcome on taking a gap year please to resit the UCAT?

Will taking a gap year disadvantage me for medicine?

Academics are the best they could be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

I'd appreciate some help if possible, cheers
Last edited by TWIn2002; 1 month ago
delhibelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TWIn2002)
I got 215 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 270 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

Academics are the best they could be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

Take the BMAT
TWIn2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by delhibelly)
Take the BMAT
Thanks for reply, I would - but only want to apply for Scottish unis and none of those use BMAT unfortunately.
Last edited by TWIn2002; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Will taking a gap year disadvantage me for medicine?...
No. If anything productive gap years are very much welcomed.
TWIn2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No. If anything productive gap years are very much welcomed.
Thanks!
I have already planned to commit to volunteer through my local NHS website to gain more work experience to add to the fabulous Medic Insight scheme (Scotland) I was lucky enough to get a place on this year, and to use caring for my grandfather who will be having a total hip replacement soon as another hopefully valuable learning experience.
Would that be seen as a productive gap year?
Would also welcome going abroad for a spell but haven't looked into this yet. too raw at the moment...
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks!
I have already planned to commit to volunteer through my local NHS website to gain more work experience to add to the fabulous Medic Insight scheme (Scotland) I was lucky enough to get a place on this year, and to use caring for my grandfather who will be having a total hip replacement soon as another hopefully valuable learning experience.
Would that be seen as a productive gap year?
Basically, anything that's not sitting on your bum all day is a productive gap year :lol:

It does sound like it will be a very rewarding year coming up for you. See if you can get some HCA work too.

Good luck.
sam72016
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

That sucks definitely take a gap year and fill it with medical work experience. Is there anything you would've done differently to prepare for your UCAT which you regretted not doing after receiving your results? I have my UCAT on September 23rd
TWIn2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by sam72016)
That sucks definitely take a gap year and fill it with medical work experience. Is there anything you would've done differently to prepare for your UCAT which you regretted not doing after receiving your results? I have my UCAT on September 23rd
The only thing I can think of that I'll def do next year is NOT stop before the test. I had it on the Friday early morning and i did my last mock on Thursday morning after a week of doing 2x full mocks a day. I stopped after that last mock on Thurs morning to 'chill' completely before exam and be fresh for it.
Now wish I has\d warmed up on the day of the exam with some verbal reasoning to get my grey matter up to required speed for the day.
Good luck with your exam!!
sam72016
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you I hope you spend your gap year time wisely and get a place at a medicine uni
TWIn2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by sam72016)
Thank you I hope you spend your gap year time wisely and get a place at a medicine uni
Cheers!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest