The Student Room Group

Completely messed up UCAT exam

Well I took my UCAT on Friday. Gutted.
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

I've no idea what went wrong. Nerves I guess?

Advice would be welcome on taking a gap year please to resit the UCAT?

Will taking a gap year disadvantage me for medicine?

Academics are the best they could be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

I'd appreciate some help if possible, cheers
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TWIn2002
I got 215 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 270 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

Academics are the best they could be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

Take the BMAT
Reply 2
Original post by delhibelly
Take the BMAT

Thanks for reply, I would - but only want to apply for Scottish unis and none of those use BMAT unfortunately.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks!
I have already planned to commit to volunteer through my local NHS website to gain more work experience to add to the fabulous Medic Insight scheme (Scotland) I was lucky enough to get a place on this year, and to use caring for my grandfather who will be having a total hip replacement soon as another hopefully valuable learning experience.
Would that be seen as a productive gap year?
Would also welcome going abroad for a spell but haven't looked into this yet. too raw at the moment...
Original post by TWIn2002
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks.

That sucks definitely take a gap year and fill it with medical work experience. Is there anything you would've done differently to prepare for your UCAT which you regretted not doing after receiving your results? I have my UCAT on September 23rd
Reply 5
Original post by sam72016
That sucks definitely take a gap year and fill it with medical work experience. Is there anything you would've done differently to prepare for your UCAT which you regretted not doing after receiving your results? I have my UCAT on September 23rd

The only thing I can think of that I'll def do next year is NOT stop before the test. I had it on the Friday early morning and i did my last mock on Thursday morning after a week of doing 2x full mocks a day. I stopped after that last mock on Thurs morning to 'chill' completely before exam and be fresh for it.
Now wish I has\d warmed up on the day of the exam with some verbal reasoning to get my grey matter up to required speed for the day.
Good luck with your exam!! :smile:
Thank you I hope you spend your gap year time wisely and get a place at a medicine uni :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sam72016
Thank you I hope you spend your gap year time wisely and get a place at a medicine uni :smile:

Cheers! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending