Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so i’m going into year 12 and i’m considering taking

psychology
sociology
criminology
biology

are these good a levels to have? i want to be a criminal psychologist when i’m older. but i’m unsure on if the a levels are worthwhile. thanks
Cereidee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I took Biology, Sociology and Psychology for my A-levels. Whether they are worthwhile or not depends on what subject you plan on studying at uni, that is if you intend on applying.

I'm currently studying law and they didn't require any specific subjects but recommended ones that are essay-based.

Biology is quite challenging but enjoyable to learn.

Psychology is VERY content-heavy, it was my least favourite of the three.

Sociology is AMAZING, loved every second of it.

Studying Criminology, though I have not done myself, I would probably say would be a bit redundant as Sociology has a whole A2 topic which is Crime and Deviance, well the AQA sociology did, which is literally criminology. You might find yourself learning the same thing twice.

If you don't need to have four options, I would say drop one as you are only in need of 3 a-levels for university, a fourth one makes you know better or more appealing to universities, and could possibly lower your grades in all subjects, because of the extra time spent studying the fourth subject. That being said, it can be a safety net if you miss a grade in one of your other subjects, you'll have the fourth to fall back on.

You also have the opportunity to drop a subject at the end of year 12, if you pick three from the start, you do not.

Good luck with it all, the next two years will be a rollercoaster. Good luck with your GCSEs if you're collecting them next week!
username4914334
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thank you for this it helps a lot. and i think i’m going to do 4 the first year and then drop one for the last year. but yeah i get my results on thursday 😬😬 thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?