allieeeeee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there! I'm an international student who'd like to study biomedical sciences in the UK in 2020. I've just received my AS results (a for bio, chem, maths and physics but i've just dropped physics). I was wondering which universities would be good for biomed. Currently these are the universities i'm looking at but i'm definitely open to other options!
-Imperial
-Edinburgh
-KCL
-Cardiff
-Bath
-Warwick (maybe)

Please share your input/experiences, it would be very helpful for me in making my decision.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bristol - and not just for Biomed, look also at the Cellular and Molecular Medicine program : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/ Interesting subject areas and you can switch between courses once you have started.
justsomeguy17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I chose Imperial and I start in late September so can't really give any input atm, but I was drawn by their rankings in tables and at how well equipped the facilities are. Also, the course at Imperial doesn't really utilise lectures in the traditional sense, they seem to be a fan of putting content online for you to learn beforehand, and then in your 'lectures' you get questioned on it and discuss in groups etc.
Random_Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by allieeeeee)
Hi there! I'm an international student who'd like to study biomedical sciences in the UK in 2020. I've just received my AS results (a for bio, chem, maths and physics but i've just dropped physics). I was wondering which universities would be good for biomed. Currently these are the universities i'm looking at but i'm definitely open to other options!
-Imperial
-Edinburgh
-KCL
-Cardiff
-Bath
-Warwick (maybe)

Please share your input/experiences, it would be very helpful for me in making my decision.
Are you looking to work as a Biomedical scientist within the NHS or for you to do research after? If it is the former, then look into universities that are accredited by the IBMS
allieeeeee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol - and not just for Biomed, look also at the Cellular and Molecular Medicine program : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/ Interesting subject areas and you can switch between courses once you have started.
Oh I see. Did you study in Bristol? If you did, how was your experience?
allieeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by justsomeguy17)
I chose Imperial and I start in late September so can't really give any input atm, but I was drawn by their rankings in tables and at how well equipped the facilities are. Also, the course at Imperial doesn't really utilise lectures in the traditional sense, they seem to be a fan of putting content online for you to learn beforehand, and then in your 'lectures' you get questioned on it and discuss in groups etc.
Yes, I am drawn to imperial mainly due to their ranking but a downside for me is I'm not too inclined on staying in London. Also Imperial doesn't offer a professional placement year, does it? I guess this goes out to anybody who knows but would it be better if I attend a university with the professional placement year?
I wish you all the best then!
allieeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random_Student)
Are you looking to work as a Biomedical scientist within the NHS or for you to do research after? If it is the former, then look into universities that are accredited by the IBMS
I just recently found out about that actually but unfortunately, none of the universities I'm looking at is accredited. so far I haven't really decided what kind of work I would like to do after but should I choose to work within the NHS, how might I get accredited later on?
Random_Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I just recently found out about that actually but unfortunately, none of the universities I'm looking at is accredited. so far I haven't really decided what kind of work I would like to do after but should I choose to work within the NHS, how might I get accredited later on?
This link might be able to help:

https://www.ibms.org/registration/be...pc-registered/

I think the IBMS accreditation ensures that you complete the right assessment and certain modules. I have heard it’s harder to get accreditation but not impossible. All the best.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless you're from the EU you're unlikely to get a job in the UK so you may want to have other options apart from working in the NHS as well.
allieeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Unless you're from the EU you're unlikely to get a job in the UK so you may want to have other options apart from working in the NHS as well.
yes i do. I just wanted to know just to keep my options open. thank you though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.26%
Disagree (4)
7.41%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
27.78%
Agree (19)
35.19%
Strongly Agree (11)
20.37%

Watched Threads