TWIn2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I took my UCAT last week. Gutted
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks!

I've no idea what went wrong. Nerves I guess.

Advice would be welcome on taking a gap year please to resit the UCAT?
All the unis I want to apply to use UCAT, all Scottish unis.

Academics are the best they could possibly be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

Will taking a gap year disadvantage me for medicine?

I'd appreciate some help if possible, cheers
Last edited by TWIn2002; 1 month ago
ANNA556
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TWIn2002)
I got 215 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 270 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks!

Academics are the best they could possibly be, Scots applicant with all A at Nat 5 and all A at Higher inc all 3 sciences.

Taking a gap year won’t disadvantage you if you want to focus on improving your score. But I wouldn’t rule out if applying to medicine just yet, there are still some unis that will take that score. Maybe they won’t be the ones you initially want to go to but you’ll have to broaden your options if you seriously want to do medicine. Especially since there’s no guarantee that your UCAT next year will be better.
student0299
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A gap year won’t disadvantage you at all. Especially as you have the grades. In fact it’ll really make your application strong if you plan it out and do what you want to do
Have you looked at applying to any UK universities? I’m sure you can still try to apply for medicine in Scotland but be prepared for rejections
I know people who resat their Ucat and got in through clearing and this might be a good option you could try
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TWIn2002)
I got 615 average. SJT Band 1

Apart from one bad mock I had been getting above 670 average in ALL of the Medify, UCAS official and Kaplan mocks!

It's worth looking in detail at the published stats on applications from the unis you are interested in: most publish the details of past UKCAT scores for applicants and offer holders. The Scottish unis I've looked at have every year given offers to those with marks at the 615 level and you won't struggle to find other UK unis where that score is not a barrier.

A gap year can still be a plan B, but why not concentrate on this year first and approaching the problem a new way? If you perform poorly on an important day when you are a qualified doctor, you'll need to find a way to retrieve the situation so its another skill you need to develop.
TWIn2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
It's worth looking in detail at the published stats on applications from the unis you are interested in: most publish the details of past UKCAT scores for applicants and offer holders. The Scottish unis I've looked at have every year given offers to those with marks at the 615 level and you won't struggle to find other UK unis where that score is not a barrier.

A gap year can still be a plan B, but why not concentrate on this year first and approaching the problem a new way? If you perform poorly on an important day when you are a qualified doctor, you'll need to find a way to retrieve the situation so its another skill you need to develop.
Cheers. Appreciate your reply :shakehand:
The thing is put 'nerves I guess' but I didn't feel nervous at all, I don't actually get nervous, I'm known as the calm one. In school exams I'm never nervous either.
I really can't understand what went wrong. Maybe just unlucky with the actual Qs on the day as in the mocks I did fine. SO annoying. Understatement!
Last edited by TWIn2002; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (24)
6.65%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.34%
No (130)
36.01%

Watched Threads