The Student Room Group

The Israeli/Palestinian Conflict Thread

Scroll to see replies

I was just browsing and a blogger drew my attention Palestinian press reporting the findings of a 'Near East Consulting' study on Palestinians. It's based on 949 Palestinians in both the Gaza Strip and the West Bank (random sample). The results (if correct, I'll be waiting for Near East to publish it in english) are very interesting [I've had to make sense of it because Google Translate isn't good, if you want to interpret it in another way, go ahead]

Palestine Press
The results showed the proportion of support for Abu Mazen, fixed by 37% and the rate of 12% to Ismail Haniyeh, while 51% pointed to the lack of confidence in any of the two leaders. Similarly, 46% believe that the Fayyad government is the most legitimate was 20% that the government of Hamas is the most legitimate, in spite of that, 34% do not see any of the legitimacy of the two departments.

Meaning that 37% support Abbas and 12% for Haniyeh. 46% legitimacy for Fayyad government and just 20% for the Hamas government

The proportion of respondents 90% of the Palestinians were in favor of holding legislative and presidential elections. The survey showed that if elections were held today, the 33% would not participate in the elections, 46% would vote for Fatah, Hamas 11% and 10% for other factions.

The sample showed that the favored candidate in the event the holding of presidential elections, Mahmoud Abbas, is 35%, followed by Marwan Barghouti with 24% and 12% to Ismail Haniyeh

In general, the sample showed that 70% of those in favor of the demilitarization of the hands of the factions, however, and put the security services only.

The disarmament of all fractions is requested by 70% and only the security serivices should have that power

70% believe that the Fayyad government is working very well for the imposition of security in the West Bank, while 45% believe that Haniyeh's government is working in the Gaza Strip.

Source.

I think that if this is true, then it obviously shows the decreasing popularity of Hamas. And for what reason is this? It may be Cast Lead, it may be that people are seeing what Gazans are going through and not just blaming Israel, but Hamas also. Any thoughts, anyone?
Folderol
I was just browsing and a blogger drew my attention Palestinian press reporting the findings of a 'Near East Consulting' study on Palestinians. It's based on 949 Palestinians in both the Gaza Strip and the West Bank (random sample). The results (if correct, I'll be waiting for Near East to publish it in english) are very interesting [I've had to make sense of it because Google Translate isn't good, if you want to interpret it in another way, go ahead]

Source.

I think that if this is true, then it obviously shows the decreasing popularity of Hamas. And for what reason is this? It may be Cast Lead, it may be that people are seeing what Gazans are going through and not just blaming Israel, but Hamas also. Any thoughts, anyone?

Sounds good to me if true but I'm skeptical.
PeeWeeDan
Sounds good to me if true but I'm skeptical.

I'm most skeptical about the 70% wanting the disarming of all other "fractions" :holmes:
Folderol
I'm most skeptical about the 70% wanting the disarming of all other "fractions" :holmes:

Me too, the gap in numbers is a little bit interesting although I'd be interested to see the Gaza/WB data individually.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1246443840366&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Can anybody explain what's the purpose of this provocation?

What the **** do they want?

And why involve children in it? What if there was some insane IDF soldier that opened fire on them?
I doubt anything will happen out of this, It's barely an incident. Hezbollah are just one of those groups which, can't be reasoned with.
manwithaplan
I doubt anything will happen out of this, It's barely an incident. Hezbollah are just one of those groups which, can't be reasoned with.

Yeah I know but what's the ******* point?

It's just pathetic.
Reply 7567
borismor
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1246443840366&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Can anybody explain what's the purpose of this provocation?

What the **** do they want?

And why involve children in it? What if there was some insane IDF soldier that opened fire on them?

Screams of a bunch of attention seeking *****, tbh. There isn't enough evidence to suggest it was an official Hezbollah move.

I guess it could have been more serious if the IDF had shot them but I guess it's no biggie at the moment.
Reply 7568
It says there wasn't a fence so the civilians crossed. Probably just some over-enthusiastic supporters with some hezbollah flags.
Could you find an any more biased source? Even Haaretz would be better than the JP. :eyebrow:

(Not that I'm disagreeing, but come on.)
Reply 7570
Bubbles*de*Milo
Could you find an any more biased source? Even Haaretz would be better than the JP. :eyebrow:

Biased sources only become problematic when writing opinion articles. JP may be biased, but it doesnt write propaganda.

One last thing, you don't do justice to Haaretz. It is one of the most Liberal, fair, and high quality papers in the world, with regards to this region.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Biased on what? They stated a fact, not an opinion.
Reefer
Screams of a bunch of attention seeking *****, tbh. There isn't enough evidence to suggest it was an official Hezbollah move.

I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened two days after the explosion of a weapon storage in one of S.L's villages AND exactly one year after the prisoner exchange took place. It's probably an organized provocation by Hezbullah.

I guess it could have been more serious if the IDF had shot them but I guess it's no biggie at the moment.

Yeah, but this area is explosive. You don't play with explosives, especially near children. Getting them involved is simply crazy.
Probably hoped they would be shot and killed so Nasrallah could bitch about how evil we are.
PeeWeeDan
Probably hoped they would be shot and killed so Nasrallah could bitch about how evil we are.

Do we need any one else to be murdered to verify how evil are you? your faces are really made of iron (crappy iron I mean)

-No offence, It's just the truth!
Reply 7575
jpost, biased much?
lol at the OP's title. When were Hezballah not at it?
ThisisZAK
Do we need any one else to be murdered to verify how evil are you? your faces are really made of iron (crappy iron I mean)

-No offence, It's just the truth!

The generic Muslim "I hate Israel" crowd are getting dumber... and weirder.
They didn't actually do anything, so..
rockrunride
They didn't actually do anything, so..

They nearly got themselves shot - trying to get some new martyrs I assume.

Latest

Trending

Trending