The Student Room Group

RAF Standard Salary and questions

Hello all
I have a couple of questions I’m struggling to find answers for online. Does anyone know the salary you will earn after finishing training on a standard 3-5 GCSE RAF role? For example, RAF Regiment Gunner or RAF Police, on the RAF website it says £20,000+ after training but I would like to know a more realistic figure as to whether that means £20,500 or £25,000.

Another question, will 5 GCSEs and a PP grade in Level 3 Diploma in Public Services be sufficient to join as an officer?
Original post by Foured2
Hello all
I have a couple of questions I’m struggling to find answers for online. Does anyone know the salary you will earn after finishing training on a standard 3-5 GCSE RAF role? For example, RAF Regiment Gunner or RAF Police, on the RAF website it says £20,000+ after training but I would like to know a more realistic figure as to whether that means £20,500 or £25,000.

Another question, will 5 GCSEs and a PP grade in Level 3 Diploma in Public Services be sufficient to join as an officer?

The realistic figure is most likely to be right at the minimum of the pay, but you in addition have the benefits like cheap accommodation, free gym etc. Those grades won't get you to an officer role, you'd need a MD or above to qualify for an officer role or a PPM with an extended diploma.

Please give me an upvote!
Reply 2
Original post by Foured2
Hello all

You need 5 GCSEs and a minimum of 64 UCAS points to qualify as an officer for all branches - except those that require degrees (Engineering) or professional qualifications (doctor, lawyer, etc).

The wage will vary, but will be approx £21-22k for most things.
Original post by Foured2
Hello all

Hi

It's literally just over £20K once you've completed phase two training, although for some roles it may be before that point as it is the point you gain rank, and that can vary for certain trades. You can also google the MOD pay scales... And as has already been stated, you will have more in your pocket initially as you'll have subsidised accommodation and food etc.

Entry requirements for all roles are listed on each role page on the RAF Recruitment website, there's even a spreadsheet link for you to be able to check your own qualifications against if you don't have GCSEs and A levels etc. As a potential Officer we'll expect you to use your own initiative... ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

It's literally just over £20K once you've completed phase two training, although for some roles it may be before that point as it is the point you gain rank, and that can vary for certain trades. You can also google the MOD pay scales... And as has already been stated, you will have more in your pocket initially as you'll have subsidised accommodation and food etc.

Entry requirements for all roles are listed on each role page on the RAF Recruitment website, there's even a spreadsheet link for you to be able to check your own qualifications against if you don't have GCSEs and A levels etc. As a potential Officer we'll expect you to use your own initiative... ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

I realized that my qualification isn't enough for the Officer role, I haven't been in education for around 5 years now and I was under the impression that my 90 credit qualification = 90 UCAS points but it isn't which I found out after I totalled the UCAS points of it which is only about 25 I think it said.

Anyhow, I've got a another question. If you don't get accepted for any roles you chose, do you still get to do the aptitude test and be given other potential roles?

On the RAF website at the bottom of whichever role you are looking at it states 'If you don’t have any of the above, you might still be able to apply.' what exactly does that mean, does it mean you can still apply for an Officer role if you don't have all the qualifications or does it mean you can apply and be given a alternate role?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Foured2
I realized that my qualification isn't enough for the Officer role, I haven't been in education for around 5 years now and I was under the impression that my 90 credit qualification = 90 UCAS points but it isn't which I found out after I totalled the UCAS points of it which is only about 25 I think it said.

Anyhow, I've got a another question. If you don't get accepted for any roles you chose, do you still get to do the aptitude test and be given other potential roles?

On the RAF website at the bottom of whichever role you are looking at it states 'If you don’t have any of the above, you might still be able to apply.' what exactly does that mean, does it mean you can still apply for an Officer role if you don't have all the qualifications or does it mean you can apply and be given a alternate role?

Hi

If you're applying for an Airmen role then you sit the AST (Airmen Selection Test) first thing in the process, so you'll be advised about which roles you can progress your application for, depending on the qualifications you have etc.

On some roles there may be an option to waiver one qualification, but this will be at the discretion of the trade sponsor and the requirements for the role. Some roles are more required than others by the RAF etc.

For Officer roles, you will need to meet the entry criteria, although you could ask at your AFCO, but it's unlikely.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest