sanaa17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i've heard that mathematics is the same for all engineering degrees in the first year so I got a book on general mathematics for engineering . I'm kinda nervous about the maths bcz havn't done any in depth maths for a long while and so not really confident on the maths part..

I've also got myself some books on theory and practice for software engineering aswell as apps, watched some yt vids. Really not sure what to do now😂

I'm really wanting to get a head start as I'd loove to obtain a 1.1
TrimItOut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where are you studying?
sanaa17
Rep:
?
why
sanaa17
Rep:
?
(Original post by sanaa17)
why
TrimItOut
TrimItOut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I can see the course that you are studying to see whether or not you need to cover engineering mathematics. I would say that this would be very rare as software engineering is considered to have less maths content than say Computer Science and the maths content in Computer Science does not align with the engineering maths syllabus as it focuses more on algorithms and discrete mathematics. Just want to make sure you're not studying for something that you won't be covering throughout your degree anyway.
sanaa17
Rep:
?
(Original post by TrimItOut)
So I can see the course that you are studying to see whether or not you need to cover engineering mathematics. I would say that this would be very rare as software engineering is considered to have less maths content than say Computer Science and the maths content in Computer Science does not align with the engineering maths syllabus as it focuses more on algorithms and discrete mathematics. Just want to make sure you're not studying for something that you won't be covering throughout your degree anyway.
Thank you, this post in itself is so helpful bcz I thought both computer science and Software enj were pretty much the same in terms of maths idk why:/
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sanaa17)
Thank you, this post in itself is so helpful bcz I thought both computer science and Software enj were pretty much the same in terms of maths idk why:/
Computer Science varies wildly across different universities in the amount of maths that you'd get. For example, Oxbridge and Imperial computer science degrees are more like 'applied maths' degrees given the heavy focus on studying computation theory and learning higher-level thinking and problem solving skills.

On the other hand, many of the "new" universities will offer Computer Science degrees which have a minimal amount of Maths -- in many cases it may just be a first-year module which only repeats some A-Level Maths and Further maths content (those universities usually only ask for students to have GCSE level maths at B or C). Those courses put their focus on the skills needed for employment in technical IT jobs (a lot of IT engineering skills like programming, databases, O/S skills, networking, security, web development, etc) rather than really being about the science of computation.

It's also worth mentioning that Software Engineering as a discipline isn't really mathematical because the focus is on programming and using technology to solve real-world problems for real people, rather than being about solving mathematical problems. Real-world problems tend to involve getting different technologies to work together and fit around the things that businesses and users want to be able to do.

Employers generally don't hire software engineers to solve mathematical problems nor write code for mathematical algorithms. The code generally involves things like communication across networks, storing data in databases, moving data between different systems, creating GUI apps for users, creating complex business rules, making sure things are secure, automating repetitive tasks, sending data to users, etc.
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.18%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.11%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.85%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.76%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.09%

Watched Threads