Owen Jones assaulted by far right thugs Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In a pre-planned attack, a group of far right thugs have seriously assaulted leading left wing commentator and Guardian journalist Owen Jones.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ack-pub-london

Up to 4 men assaulted him outside a Pentonville Road pub at 3am. The police haven't arrested anyone yet.

The British far right, emboldened by friendliness to their cause from leading figures like Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, some Tory MPs and parts of the national media, are becoming increasingly and actively violent. We can probably expect terrorist attacks from them.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd mibbie wait for some evidence that they were far right activists. No arrests, no pictures, no quotes.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'd mibbie wait for some evidence that they were far right activists. No arrests, no pictures, no quotes.
It's written all over the incident.

The far right are also now regularly issuing death threats against MPs who oppose a hard Brexit, something that was of course never mandated by the referendum. Dominic Grieve is a good example.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit

The thuggery is encouraged by people like Arron Banks, Farage's sleazy best mate, who has used Twitter to make threats.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
It's written all over the incident.

The far right are also now regularly issuing death threats against MPs who oppose a hard Brexit, something that was of course never mandated by the referendum. Dominic Grieve is a good example.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit

The thuggery is encouraged by people like Arron Banks, Farage's sleazy best mate, who has used Twitter to make threats.
Not saying any of that isn't true, but it's still a presumptive connection based on no evidence (yet) would hardly be the first ttme someones been attacked at 3am chucking out time completely out of the blue.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I seriously doubt the attack was politically inspired, many drunks cause fights within pubs, is quite normal
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by The RAR)
I seriously doubt the attack was politically inspired, many drunks cause fights within pubs, is quite normal
It wasn't a fight in a pub. They were out of the pub and walking home when set upon and the attackers targeted Jones specifically.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Assuming the reasons for the attack is dangerous. It could have been politically motivated, not denying that. But to say it certainly is leads to a dangerous path.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
Assuming the reasons for the attack is dangerous. It could have been politically motivated, not denying that. But to say it certainly is leads to a dangerous path.
It's pretty clear and Jones himself has explained why it was undoubtedly the work of the far right.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4215721.html
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In a pre-planned attack, a group of far right thugs have seriously assaulted leading left wing commentator and Guardian journalist Owen Jones.

Up to 4 men assaulted him outside a Pentonville Road pub at 3am. The police haven't arrested anyone yet.

The British far right, emboldened by friendliness to their cause from leading figures like Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, some Tory MPs and parts of the national media, are becoming increasingly and actively violent. We can probably expect terrorist attacks from them.
Why don't you give the left-wing media a rest for a while, consuming it in large doses can only lead to an ever increasing detachment from what happens in the real world. That is the currency that rags like the Guardian trade in, every morning they inch a step farther away from it and drag people into their ideological construct and parallel universe. A pre-planned far-right attack, what a load of...

i dunno about that far-right but righties like me wouldn't go anywhere near the Owen type for fear of catching something, you lot wildly over-estimate the sense of self-importance. There's no hatred, just contempt.
Last edited by z-hog; 4 weeks ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Bizzes looking into the possibility it was a "hate crime". Nothing to say it clearly was at this time.

Also he wasn't seriously assaulted. Bizzies said only minor injuries to the head and neck. He has two hints at black eyes, which look more like hayfever than a "serious assault".
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it could of been far Left ? there was a lot of ill feeling between the Bolshevik's and the Menshevik's in Russia ?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
it could of been far Left ? there was a lot of ill feeling between the Bolshevik's and the Menshevik's in Russia ?
Lol, yes. this was clearly a positional attack by situationists supporting the syndico-anarchist policies of John Mann's revisionist neo-Brexit.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i quite like the 'the perpetrator is who I claim it to be and you better believe me' line of reasoning

seems to be very popular with people of a certain leaning these days

:whistle:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol, yes. this was clearly a positional attack by situationists supporting the syndico-anarchist policies of John Mann's revisionist neo-Brexit.
what she said

DSilva
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Why don't you give the left-wing media a rest for a while, consuming it in large doses can only lead to an ever increasing detachment from what happens in the real world. That is the currency that rags like the Guardian trade in, every morning they inch a step farther away from it and drag people into their ideological construct and parallel universe. A pre-planned far-right attack, what a load of...

i dunno about that far-right but righties like me wouldn't go anywhere near the Owen type for fear of catching something, you lot wildly over-estimate the sense of self-importance. There's no hatred, just contempt.
You're a conspiracy theorist.
Last edited by DSilva; 3 weeks ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's pretty clear and Jones himself has explained why it was undoubtedly the work of the far right.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4215721.html
That article just says that Jones himself was targeted, which I never denied. Attacking somebody for any reason is disgusting. However, we should be careful before pre-assuming things.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I suspect the perpetrators may have been emboldened by their victim's own support for the attack in May on Nigel Farage. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If you say one assault is OK then you can hardly moan when you yourself are attacked. All extremists should stop their violence and support for it.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I suspect the perpetrators may have been emboldened by their victim's own support for the attack in May on Nigel Farage. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If you say one assault is OK then you can hardly moan when you yourself are attacked. You extremists should all stop your violence and your support for it.
You're not seriously comparing someone kicking someone in the head on the floor with people chucking yoghurts are you?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're not seriously comparing someone kicking someone in the head on the floor with people chucking yoghurts are you?
They are both assaults. The fact that one was more serious is irrelevant. If, as you claim, this latter attack was politically-motivated, then it is, in principle, identical to the one on Farage. Neither is acceptable. That you seek to nihilipilificate the former shows that you (a) condone violence from your own side of the argument and (b) do not understand where you own attitudes will lead.

Edited to add that escalation will always happen in this scenario. If one bunch of thugs throws milkshakes, the other will retaliate with stones. My thugs, just like my political views, are better than yours. It is inevitable.

And, of course, if you first condone violence when it is aimed at an opponent and then complain when it is directed at you then you are a hypocrite.
Last edited by Good bloke; 3 weeks ago
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow the obvious bias on tsr lol. Assault against Farage and everyone is cheering. Assault against Owen Jones and all of a sudden you are disgusted? I don't like either of these two gents but assaulting someone over political views is wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (153)
24.68%
Pop (149)
24.03%
Jazz (26)
4.19%
Classical (36)
5.81%
Hip-Hop (109)
17.58%