TigerTia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m looking to study chemistry at oxford for 2020 entry and find myself struggling to pick a college. I know I can always do an open application however some of the colleges don’t have a 24/7 library and since I suffer with insomnia I feel like I’ll be doing a lot of late night studying. I’m currently looking at Exeter, Queens, St Anne’s and St Peters. I’ve visited them all and still can’t choose. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Well what do you want from your college?

If really in doubt, you could look at which of those has been least competitive recently and go for that. Whilst that won't increase your chances of getting into Oxford, it might reduce your chances of being pooled to a college without, say, 24/7 library access.
Vodex_Law
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are you looking for in a college?

I would focus on the following in addition to a 24/7 library:
Location (distance to your faculty)
Accommodation (for 3 years? prices? etc)
Kitchen if you want to cook yourself
If you're vegetarian also check which colleges have good veg food
How many tutors does the college have for your subject?
Is there a designated library for your subject?
Do you pay-as-you-go for hall or do you have to pre-pay? (whichever you prefer)

Personally having a bit of a similar dilemma to you. Will be applying this October to study law starting 2020 and cant fully decide between John's, Worcester and Brasenose. Leaning more towards Worcester atm.
EnglishStudent*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TigerTia)
I’m looking to study chemistry at oxford for 2020 entry and find myself struggling to pick a college. I know I can always do an open application however some of the colleges don’t have a 24/7 library and since I suffer with insomnia I feel like I’ll be doing a lot of late night studying. I’m currently looking at Exeter, Queens, St Anne’s and St Peters. I’ve visited them all and still can’t choose. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
1. Remember even if a college doesn't have a 24/7 library, they may have 24-hour study spaces.
2. Personally, I think one of the best parts of Oxford is living in the city centre, so that everything is a short walk away. Exeter keeps you onsite for first year, but I'm unsure about the remaining four. So check where you'll be living when off-site, and how far it is from your college's facilities and the city centre.
3. Try the college suggester: http://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
4. Remember, though I think college choice is more important than the university says, they're all good and you'll end up somewhere you love.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (9)
36%
No (16)
64%

Watched Threads