Shohir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I talked to my family about repeating my A level and I had a long conversation with them which ended with them asking me to decide which field I want to pursue. I have been studying medicine up till now and even though I do not like it, I feel like switching to a completely different field so late might be risky. Any suggestions on what I should do?
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Shohir,

It's great that you've had a long chat with your parents and they're supportive of a possible change in subject area. You're so right in thinking that it's maybe not the best idea to pursue medicine at university if you're not 100% into it... University is a huge investment, especially if you're studying for 7 years!

Resitting your A-Levels can feel daunting, however at this stage if you feel like making a change in your career path it might be the best option for you. Have you ever spoken to a careers advisor at your sixth form/college? These advisors will ask what your interests are, what you enjoy studying most etc, and can tell you some career prospects from the info you give them.

It's important to study something you really enjoy whilst at university, it's a huge decision to make and will craft the path of your future, so you want to feel comfortable with whatever subject you choose to study. Once you've narrowed your chosen subject areas down, you should then go and visit as many university open days as possible to really get a feel for each campus, course facilities, academics, student support services and more. This will give you a very good idea of what is right for you.

Whilst I was at sixth form I had such a broad idea of what I wanted to study at uni (Fine Art, Geology or Maths!!!), and I went to each three subject talks at every open day I went to. I got a vibe for each of the courses at each university and made my decision based on what I had taken away from the open days I'd visited.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Kat (official rep)
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shohir)
...I have been studying medicine up till now and even though I do not like it,
I take it you mean you have been studying A-Levels for Medicine, not actually studying Medicine at Uni?

I feel like switching to a completely different field so late might be risky. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Do what you yourself want to do, and not what your parents want you to. People change careers all the time.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shohir)
So I talked to my family about repeating my A level and I had a long conversation with them which ended with them asking me to decide which field I want to pursue. I have been studying medicine up till now and even though I do not like it, I feel like switching to a completely different field so late might be risky. Any suggestions on what I should do?
So you're studying A-levels? Which ones? What do you want to change to? With a view to doing what?

More info plz...
Lostx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Do what you yourself want to do, and not what your parents want you to. People change careers all the time.
This is absolutely right. If my parents had their way I’d never go to uni, never learn to drive and stay close to family my entire life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.81%
I'm not sure (40)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (271)
30.18%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (432)
48.11%

Watched Threads