?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Should I take further maths a level? What is it like and how hard is it
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My view is that what makes further maths 'further' is that you're covering more content, not necessarily because it's always much harder than 'single' maths. There are some topics in further maths that aren't that difficult (relatively) - e.g. the more basic parts of complex numbers, summation proofs, that stuff with roots of polynomials, matrices (once you get to know them). There are, however, some that are generally more difficult than any topics in single maths.
In the exam itself, questions are probably on the whole more difficult and long, more so than single maths (where questions are already significantly longer than in GCSE).
Personally, I spent a lot more time revising further maths than single maths. Single maths knowledge (including applied) is expected in further maths so you can kind of revise both at once. Except for single maths statistics and mechanics. Don't rely on further maths for that.
But being interested in the subject itself I was glad to have taken it, and I enjoyed doing it and finding out what those last few confusing buttons on my calculator were for.
If you intend to apply for engineering or computing or mathematics or physics or economics at uni it'll definitely help your application, but you should still only take it if you actually have an interest in the subject.
Rae5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
My view is that what makes further maths 'further' is that you're covering more content, not necessarily because it's always much harder than 'single' maths. There are some topics in further maths that aren't that difficult (relatively) - e.g. the more basic parts of complex numbers, summation proofs, that stuff with roots of polynomials, matrices (once you get to know them). There are, however, some that are generally more difficult than any topics in single maths.
In the exam itself, questions are probably on the whole more difficult and long, more so than single maths (where questions are already significantly longer than in GCSE).
Personally, I spent a lot more time revising further maths than single maths. Single maths knowledge (including applied) is expected in further maths so you can kind of revise both at once. Except for single maths statistics and mechanics. Don't rely on further maths for that.
But being interested in the subject itself I was glad to have taken it, and I enjoyed doing it and finding out what those last few confusing buttons on my calculator were for.
If you intend to apply for engineering or computing or mathematics or physics or economics at uni it'll definitely help your application, but you should still only take it if you actually have an interest in the subject.
Thank you, I wish to do aeronautical engineering so I probably should take further maths. I'll see what I get In my GCSE maths on Thursday then I'll decide
National Extension College
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rae5)
Thank you, I wish to do aeronautical engineering so I probably should take further maths. I'll see what I get In my GCSE maths on Thursday then I'll decide
If you want to do aeronautical engineering then I would suggest that Further Maths would be a good option. However, dependent on your GCSE maths grade, it is better to get a high grade in Maths than a lower grade in Further Maths for your chosen career path. Base your choice on your mathematical abilities. Good luck with your results!

Best wishes,
Charlotte
Kamran3210
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Further maths has a lot more content than single maths, most of it isn't really any more difficult conceptually however the questions you get in the exam are more involved and difficult to solve in my experience
Rae5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kamran3210)
Further maths has a lot more content than single maths, most of it isn't really any more difficult conceptually however the questions you get in the exam are more involved and difficult to solve in my experience
Thanks everyone for the help I enrolled today and have chosen to do a level further maths and physics, chemistry and maths. They’re letting me do a trial in FM to see if it’s suitable for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed