The Student Room Group

I have no clue about a level choices

Hi so I need to pick a level choices and was thinking of doing biology pyschology and history but I don't know what jobs or uni courses I could do other than the basics ( bio pys and history). Now I'm kind of thinking of doing chemistry and ditching one of the others because Im looking into medicine. Sorry this is really rambly and a mess but if anyone has advice I'd really appreciate it :smile:
yeah chemistry is a really good option, i'd say defo choose it bc u seem open minded to several options and chem will open those options for u. especially when paired with bio
If you want to do medicine it would be best for you to do biology, chemistry, and psychology. However, the amount of dedication required for medicine means you should only be really passionate about it if you want to pursue it. In terms of other degrees, there are many other types of biology, history and psychology degree that would be open to you - things like microbiology, psychiatry, and ancient history just for starters. But you're not just limited to those three subjects. If you're interested in those subjects then it is the best option for you.
yeah chemistry is a really good option, i'd say defo choose it bc u seem open minded to several options and chem will open those options for u. especially when paired with bio. take all 4, drop hist or psy in the first like, month (i'd say history bc psy is an easy A lol)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
if you want open options do maths and chemistry
Reply 5
Original post by anonymoussse
yeah chemistry is a really good option, i'd say defo choose it bc u seem open minded to several options and chem will open those options for u. especially when paired with bio

Thank you for your help. I reckon I'd probably do that when I go to a levels. I finish gcses in 2020 what about you
Reply 6
Original post by jessblackburn
If you want to do medicine it would be best for you to do biology, chemistry, and psychology. However, the amount of dedication required for medicine means you should only be really passionate about it if you want to pursue it. In terms of other degrees, there are many other types of biology, history and psychology degree that would be open to you - things like microbiology, psychiatry, and ancient history just for starters. But you're not just limited to those three subjects. If you're interested in those subjects then it is the best option for you.

Thank you that's really helpful :smile: I'd love to be a doctor but not sure if I'm capable. Guess we'll see I suppose
Reply 7
Original post by Esmerussell
Thank you that's really helpful :smile: I'd love to be a doctor but not sure if I'm capable. Guess we'll see I suppose

Keep in mind that some unis requires you to do chemistry and maths so check the unis you want to go to. I kinda regret not doing a level maths
Reply 8
Original post by g.da
Keep in mind that some unis requires you to do chemistry and maths so check the unis you want to go to. I kinda regret not doing a level maths

Ah OK I'd take chemistry but not maths, my maths isn't good enough. Also can I ask if your doing medicine were you in too set's for maths and English and stuff?
Original post by Esmerussell
Ah OK I'd take chemistry but not maths, my maths isn't good enough. Also can I ask if your doing medicine were you in too set's for maths and English and stuff?

not all unis ask for maths- most will ask for chemistry and one other science definitely, but don't take maths for a level if you don't enjoy it or think you'll struggle to cope with it.
Chemistry would be useful to pair with biology as quite a large number of bioscience degrees require you take both (e.g. most biomedical sciences/physiology courses, also a number of neuroscience courses), if you are good at and enjoy the subject. Psychology at degree level does not require A-level Psychology; the only requirement, if any, is usually to take one or two science subjects (which they sometimes count psychology as). History degrees normally require A-level History however, which is something to bear in mind if you wanted to keep that option open.

A-level Maths isn't required for medicine or the vast majority of bioscience courses, although it is required for some chemistry courses and many natural sciences courses. It is also, of course, essential for any maths or engineering courses, and most CS and economics courses require it as well. However most STEM subjects are available with a foundation year for students who haven't taken the "correct" subjects at A-level, so even if you took all humanities/social sciences subjects you could still apply to those subjects (note this does not include clinical subjects like medicine necessarily).

I would suggest you start by thinking about what subjects you find interesting and enjoy, then consider which you're actually good at, and think about what kind of work you like doing. If you hate doing labs and writing lab reports, science subjects are probably a bad idea. If you enjoy working on mathematical problems, maths and physics might be appealing. Play to your strengths and just follow the route they lay out, don't try and pigeonhole yourself into some ideal which doesn't fit your abilities and interests (because usually you will end up with poorer grades and prospects than if you didn't do that).

Quick Reply

Latest