Travel Buddies 2020 Watch

Ellie68609
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have just graduated from university and would really like to go travelling before I settle into a job, however none of my friends have any interest in doing the same thing. I ideally would like to travel around South East Asia in around March, when I should have enough money saved to go. But as a 21 year old girl I'm worried about doing this alone and wondered if anyone else is in the same boat? I have looked at 360 travel tours but I feel they are very overpriced and would not give me the flexibility or freedom I'd like through travelling...
Tianaberri123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ellie68609)
I have just graduated from university and would really like to go travelling before I settle into a job, however none of my friends have any interest in doing the same thing. I ideally would like to travel around South East Asia in around March, when I should have enough money saved to go. But as a 21 year old girl I'm worried about doing this alone and wondered if anyone else is in the same boat? I have looked at 360 travel tours but I feel they are very overpriced and would not give me the flexibility or freedom I'd like through travelling...
Hey , I am looking for a travel buddy to stay in the south of Italy with me if you are interested? Ive finished sixth form and I’ve always wanted to stay in Italy for a king period of time! I understand it’s not Asia but if your interested private message me on here with your insta or something and we can talk? Xx
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm looking to travel around Cambodia and Vietnam next year. I planned to go solo and meet people in hostels because, like you, I can't imagine I'm going to convince anyone to join me. I think going alone pushes you out of your comfort zone and gives you more freedom to do whatever you want while you're over there.

It's a little different for me though because I'm a 22 year old man, I probably have less things to worry about.
biofrance
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I am in a similar boat right now. It's the start of my gap year now and I still don't have anything set in stone yet (although I have a lot of ideas - pretty much all travel-related ideas as well as getting a part-time job or two).
My friends are all at uni, apart from 2, but one of them doesn't want to do the same kinds of things as me (he just wants to travel comfortably and sightsee, whereas I want to do more 'experience'-type travelling, e.g. volunteering abroad, group travel aimed at solo travellers, and maybe even short-term work abroad), and the second friend seems to just want to stay local and stay in her comfort zone. Both of which are totally fine.
And it's not even that I'm scared to go solo travelling (although it would be pretttty nerve-wracking), but more to the point I'd find it painfully boring to go and explore new towns and cities on my own, with nobody to have a laugh with or talk to or share my thoughts with. Ok, maybe I'd make friends there, but I hate that that's not guaranteed, and anyway their travel plans might differ from mine - so it just might not work out to continue my travels with a fellow gap year traveller I meet while I'm there.

So basically this is where I'm at: there are a few things that I can happily do alone because when I get there I won't be on my own. E.g. au pairing, doing an organised volunteer thing in Fiji/Uganda/Costa Rica etc. But there are other things that I don't want to do alone, e.g. working abroad, doing an immersive language course abroad, and particularly InterRailing etc.
I don't want to miss out on half of the things I want to do due to not wanting to go on my own -- but equally I know I would feel a million times more comfortable doing them with someone else, not to mention I'm sure I'd have a better time and not have to feel as isolated/bored.

Rant over (why do I always start writing novels when I come on TSR?!!) but it's such a struggle.
For now I guess I'm going to focus on getting a job here near home to get my bank account up a couple of months, and then I'll just focus on the things that I am happy to go and do on my own. But I'll also put it out there that I'm open to finding a travel buddy for those things that, let's be honest, I'm not going to end up doing by myself. PM's are open to anyone interested
fifi1610
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi! I'm also taking a gap year and so far am going alone! my plan is to go to Se Asia in mid Jan then hopefully go onto Aus and NZ! if anyone has similar ideas or wants to discuss any plans feel free to message me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (161)
24.81%
Pop (158)
24.35%
Jazz (26)