astbyun
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m going into year 12 next year and have started looking at subjects I’d want to study at University. I’ve decided I want to study something such as either business, marketing or managing.

I’ve looked at entry requirements and most, almost all, require a B in maths. Pigs will fly if I ever get a B in maths in GCSE.

I am looking at top universities. I’m hoping to get mostly 7’s and 8’s with a few 6’s in my GCSE’s, but math is not one of them.

What do you people of the internet think I should do? Should I just not bother and look at other degree’s I’d want to do? I’m not bad at maths, it’s just I was stupid and didn’t revise for my maths exams and now I’ve f-ed up my chances of going to a great university.
steamed-hams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i studied a similar degree at a similar uni you'd apply for. in my experience - it was a micky mouse degree where you learn abit about everything but not enough about anything to make it worthwhile. its a safe bet for employment yes, but (based on LinkedIn profiles) for my year no one seem to get of those gold dust graduate schemes or particularly impressive jobs. most are things like in sales or marketing which seem to be glorified school leaver jobs. my friends from school did apprenticeships at 18 and 3/4/5 years later they're crushing it. meanwhile i have a business degree and i dont believe it really entitles me to be higher or same rung on the corporate ladder than they are. perhaps even still on the entry level rung. only because i studied marketing doesn't mean i am better than the guy who has 1 year of experience.

if i could go back i would have done an apprenticeship i.e. a job, a professional qualification and train towards becoming qualified in something, no debt, a salary. if i were to go to uni i would have taken a proper degree like computer science or engineering with a foundation year. but even further to that you can go to uni at any age so you dont have to jump into the first thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?