The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sharp910sh
How much do you get paid? and how many hours can you get?

as i'm getting bored at home

start at 4.25 rising to 4.45 after 2 weeks and you can get up to 40 hour dependant on how many shifts they have and how many worker. Im finding it hard to get 20 hours a week let alone 40 hour which i want.
And yeah it's better than sitting at home.
bruisepristine
it'll be fairly informal and friendly, all they care about is that you're polite and smiley (the slogan is 'hire the smile' - do that and you've got the job, pretty much) and can hold a conversation. It's very rare to get to interview and not get the job, I've only known of it happening when people have been late/have very poor English/come across as very rude. They'll ask you things about teamwork, such as give an example when you've had to work in a team, generic things like that really. Good luck!

Thanks for your help, I got the job! :biggrin:
It was pretty easy, like a five minute interview. :p:
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Thanks for your help, I got the job! :biggrin:
It was pretty easy, like a five minute interview. :p:

Nice one
Aaron_1507
start at 4.25 rising to 4.45 after 2 weeks and you can get up to 40 hour dependant on how many shifts they have and how many worker. Im finding it hard to get 20 hours a week let alone 40 hour which i want.
And yeah it's better than sitting at home.

Thats alright, may not need to apply got an interview at richer sounds. woop.
sharp910sh
Thats alright, may not need to apply got an interview at richer sounds. woop.

What is richer sounds and is it better pay?
A av shop, ie tvs and amps speakers. Home entertainment. http://www.richersounds.com/home.php

The pay, I'm not sure but I think they must pay well.

Oh and I'm 18 so I would get £4.65 an hour at MD.
sharp910sh
A av shop, ie tvs and amps speakers. Home entertainment. http://www.richersounds.com/home.php

The pay, I'm not sure but I think they must pay well.

Oh and I'm 18 so I would get £4.65 an hour at MD.

4.75 rising to 4.95 after 2 weeks.
Reply 227
Aaron_1507
4.75 rising to 4.95 after 2 weeks.

Do you work in a franchised store? 18-21 year olds in company stores start on £4.65 an hour. Also, most company stores no longer give a pay rise after the probationary period, that stopped about a year ago. :s-smilie:
NickyP
Do you work in a franchised store? 18-21 year olds in company stores start on £4.65 an hour. Also, most company stores no longer give a pay rise after the probationary period, that stopped about a year ago. :s-smilie:

Haha unlucky yeah the restaurant i work at is part of a franchise group and we still get the pay rise and its 4.75 for 18-21.
I do think the wage is s--- anyways, I worked at Adams Kids and got £5.50 when I was 16 and raised to £5.80 a year later. But they shut down. Now all my mates are getting like £6+ an hour. while I'm on £4.85.
sharp910sh
I do think the wage is s--- anyways, I worked at Adams Kids and got £5.50 when I was 16 and raised to £5.80 a year later. But they shut down. Now all my mates are getting like £6+ an hour. while I'm on £4.85.

Haha, what do you guys think of the development and the business manager programs they offer? would you go for it? or not?
Reply 231
Aaron_1507
Haha unlucky yeah the restaurant i work at is part of a franchise group and we still get the pay rise and its 4.75 for 18-21.

Ah. Franchised stores can be good or bad. There is a franchise store close to mine, and I used to have a friend who worked there and got paid £3.75 an hour when she was 16, and if their till was down they had to pay it out of their wages! Gives franchisees a bad name in my opinion!
Reply 232
sharp910sh

I think McDonald's is a good company to get into though. I started when I was 16 and I thought that £4.00 an hour was terrible compared to my friends who got £5.00 an hour, but now I get almost £7.00 an hour whilst they're still on the same wage, and it's not a bad company to work for either. :smile:
NickyP
I think McDonald's is a good company to get into though. I started when I was 16 and I thought that £4.00 an hour was terrible compared to my friends who got £5.00 an hour, but now I get almost £7.00 an hour whilst they're still on the same wage, and it's not a bad company to work for either. :smile:

how do you get 7.00? are you part time or full time?
Reply 234
Aaron_1507
how do you get 7.00? are you part time or full time?

Well I was part time through college, doing 3 or 4 shifts a week usually when I didn't have exams, but now I'm full time until I go to uni in September. And I get that because I'm a Shift Manager. :smile:
NickyP
Well I was part time through college, doing 3 or 4 shifts a week usually when I didn't have exams, but now I'm full time until I go to uni in September. And I get that because I'm a Shift Manager. :smile:

How long you been working there since becoming 16?
Reply 236
Aaron_1507
How long you been working there since becoming 16?

I've been working there for 2 years, since I was 16.
NickyP
I've been working there for 2 years, since I was 16.

How did you manage 3 or 4 shifts with college and still get AAA and whatever else you got.
Reply 238
Aaron_1507
How did you manage 3 or 4 shifts with college and still get AAA and whatever else you got.

To be honest I think I did too many shifts. In lower 6th I spent far too much time working in McDonalds, and that showed in my AS results. I only bumped them up ot AAAC or whatever because I did a lot of resits in the January. When it got closer to my A2 exams I only did 1 or 2 shifts max per week.
Aaron_1507
Haha, what do you guys think of the development and the business manager programs they offer? would you go for it? or not?

Maybe, I worked there during work experience it was gay. Came home everyday, smelling of grease, the only good thing was the free food.

Latest

Trending

Trending