Living with regret, clearing bad decision Watch

john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've studied 1 year at uni and decided to change. I applied to 2 other universities and thought there was no where else I would go. I've been spending the whole of the ucas application cycle thinking about which of these to go to and kept going back and forth to the point I entered clearing and chose the other one. But inside I have not been satisfied with either really as overall the unis are not as good as to the ones applied to first year round. First year I also applied to Warwick which for some reason didn't come to mind when reapplying. Mabye I thought the grades were too high or I wouldn't like the course.

I could've applied to Warwick before a level results day or even on a level results day but it just never occurred to me as I was spending sooo much time in my room just arguing with myself about which of the original 2 to pick. I came on here for some advice and someone pointed Warwick out to me and it just clicked in my head. And I found myself just annoyed that I completely forgot to go for it and my course would be in clearing. My course was actually on their clearing list on results day and the day afyer results day they changed the title to state they are now only taking overseas applicants(which I'm not) and by the time I thought to actually enquire it was Saturday when they're closed. When enquiring I checked on the list and they have taken my course off . I already know on Monday they will just tell me the course is full. There's no way I'm going to take a gap year out considering I've already wasted a year at 1 University. How can I live with my stupid mistake, I've literally been beating myself up about it all weekend. Now that I had my sights set on Warwick, if and when they reject me I don't think I'll be satisfied with my current choice which is the worst thing as I've spent the whole year at uni and chose it to apply to.

I've also included my number in the email and asked them to call or email if they do find any spaces but I doubt they will. Should I just keep calling up throughout the clearing period to check if they have any vacancies or will it be likely they won't. I don't want to annoy the department with constant calls but I also wouldn't want to miss out on a potential space. Im so sad and annoyed with myself, my email almost sounds like I'm begging them for a place in hopes that they will just squeeze me in. I've just been feeling really down even when I should be looking forward to attending a new university next year.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by john_iqbal786)
So I've studied 1 year at uni and decided to change. I applied to 2 other universities and thought there was no where else I would go. I've been spending the whole of the ucas application cycle thinking about which of these to go to and kept going back and forth to the point I entered clearing and chose the other one. But inside I have not been satisfied with either really as overall the unis are not as good as to the ones applied to first year round. First year I also applied to Warwick which for some reason didn't come to mind when reapplying. Mabye I thought the grades were too high or I wouldn't like the course.

I could've applied to Warwick before a level results day or even on a level results day but it just never occurred to me as I was spending sooo much time in my room just arguing with myself about which of the original 2 to pick. I came on here for some advice and someone pointed Warwick out to me and it just clicked in my head. And I found myself just annoyed that I completely forgot to go for it and my course would be in clearing. My course was actually on their clearing list on results day and the day afyer results day they changed the title to state they are now only taking overseas applicants(which I'm not) and by the time I thought to actually enquire it was Saturday when they're closed. When enquiring I checked on the list and they have taken my course off . I already know on Monday they will just tell me the course is full. There's no way I'm going to take a gap year out considering I've already wasted a year at 1 University. How can I live with my stupid mistake, I've literally been beating myself up about it all weekend. Now that I had my sights set on Warwick, if and when they reject me I don't think I'll be satisfied with my current choice which is the worst thing as I've spent the whole year at uni and chose it to apply to.

I've also included my number in the email and asked them to call or email if they do find any spaces but I doubt they will. Should I just keep calling up throughout the clearing period to check if they have any vacancies or will it be likely they won't. I don't want to annoy the department with constant calls but I also wouldn't want to miss out on a potential space. Im so sad and annoyed with myself, my email almost sounds like I'm begging them for a place in hopes that they will just squeeze me in. I've just been feeling really down even when I should be looking forward to attending a new university next year.
when vacancies are gone they dont often open back up. are you able to take a gap year?
john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
when vacancies are gone they dont often open back up. are you able to take a gap year?
I have already studied 1 year and don't think a gap year would be good because I just want to get my degree as soon as possible now. I've noticed with every course thats not in the list, they have marked with a (Full course) label and any in the list hasn't been marked with this. The course I'm looking for has been taken off the list but hasn't been marked with the (Full course) label which has given me a slither of hope but I am pretty sure they won't take me. It really is putting me down as they gave me a place on the course last year within 2 days of applying which I didn't take and I'm 100% sure they would've taken me in clearing, I even had the benefit of enquiring before other students as I already had my results from last year which is just killing me even more
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by john_iqbal786)
I have already studied 1 year and don't think a gap year would be good because I just want to get my degree as soon as possible now. I've noticed with every course thats not in the list, they have marked with a (Full course) label and any in the list hasn't been marked with this. The course I'm looking for has been taken off the list but hasn't been marked with the (Full course) label which has given me a slither of hope but I am pretty sure they won't take me. It really is putting me down as they gave me a place on the course last year within 2 days of applying which I didn't take and I'm 100% sure they would've taken me in clearing, I even had the benefit of enquiring before other students as I already had my results from last year which is just killing me even more
i'm afraid what's done is done, the thing to consider is you only get 4 years funding and it's risky to start again at a uni you won't like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads