?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thoughts? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1566127047
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Umm, not sure what to think. Can't imagine ppl working at 70 but I guess it's possible. :dontknow: 2035, is a long time away, tbf
Last edited by Obolinda; 1 month ago
Sorani
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Umm, not sure what to think. Can't imagine ppl working at 70 but I guess it's possible. :dontknow:
People used to work until their deaths, which is what I feel the end game is here.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By the time our generation is nearing that age, the retirement age is likely gonna be much higher as is life expectancy.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They really do pick the most ironic names for their thinktanks :eyeball:

Anyway yeah, what can one say? If it comes to pass it's obvious which social groups will be most affected and which won't (spoiler: the biggest supporters of this policy don't need state pensions and will have retired comfortably long before that age anyway). It very much sounds like something more suited to the Victorian era than a wealthy 21st century country.

A normal, healthy society should allow for its older generation to be able to retire in peace and financial security instead of having to work until they die. Depressing stuff.

(Original post by Obolinda)
Umm, not sure what to think. Can't imagine ppl working at 70 but I guess it's possible. :dontknow:
Well I mean, anything's possible. Sending 10 year olds to work is also technically possible
Last edited by Democracy; 1 month ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Well I mean, anything's possible. Sending 10 year olds to work is also technically possible
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds terrible, working 40-50 years of your life is enough. You should be able to enjoy spending the rest of your life with your family rather than working all the time.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ll probably be dead before I reach 75.
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is tough, because it sounds unfair, BUT, given that the UK has a rapidly ageing population, together with rising life expectancy, this may just be something we have to do in order to keep the pension system working. It’s worth noting that if this forces people to keep working for longer, they may at least be in more technical roles rather than hard physical labour as the job market changes.
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tories really want to raise it to 120.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One day soon under 30's will do the maths and realise for them, the state pension is a Ponzi scheme.
Neilos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seems high but people are living longer, many of them in poor health and requiring expensive care.

Someone has to pay for that, so we have to make hard choices... and I think the easiest solution is for people to work longer. I think 75 is too high right now, but in 30 or so years it likely won't be that unreasonable.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Makes sense.

The pension age was set at a time when life expectancy was much lower, when you wouldn't be claiming it very long. Now you're claiming it for nigh on 20 years and the scheme wasn't set up for that.

Either claim it later, claim less, or raise taxes.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)
It very much sounds like something more suited to the Victorian era than a wealthy 21st century country.

A normal, healthy society should allow for its older generation to be able to retire in peace and financial security instead of having to work until they die. Depressing stuff.
Victorian Britain had a far younger populace.

People aged 60+ are the only increasing age group in the UK.

Pension spending increased from 3% of GDP in 1950 to 8% today. The proportion of pensioners per taxpayer is always rapidly increasing:

I'm not a fan of the Tories - in fact, I think I've roundly criticised them for propping up pensions - but it's necessary to slow the spiralling economic costs of our ageing population.

It's not even in their party interests - pensioners are always far more conservative voters than the working elderly.
Last edited by AngeryPenguin; 1 month ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tories don't like tax funded state funded payments to the masses, am I supposed to be surprised?
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*Think-tank is labelled right-of-centre*

ITS A TORY THINK TANK EVERYBODY, A TORY THINK TANK
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The State* Pension Age.

My thoughts are that anyone with enough intelligence to be discussing such issues on here should not rely on the state pension in any shape or form. Plan to support yourself through personal savings and private pension.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reue)
The State* Pension Age.

My thoughts are that anyone with enough intelligence to be discussing such issues on here should not rely on the state pension in any shape or form. Plan to support yourself through personal savings and private pension.
Agreed but that's a hell of a lot more difficult than you may think, immeasurably more so than people in their current retirement had it.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Agreed but that's a hell of a lot more difficult than you may think, immeasurably more so than people in their current retirement had it.
I don’t think it is, as long as you start young.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reue)
I don’t think it is, as long as you start young.
Well, all I'll say is good luck. The work place 'pension' scheme is a gift to the financial service industry rather than. Serious benefit to the masses.

There are not many quality pensions nowadays left.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.09%
Disagree (4)
7.27%
Neither agree or disagree (16)
29.09%
Agree (19)
34.55%
Strongly Agree (11)
20%

Watched Threads