Examples of essay titles for A-level Music?

Watch
krinyapajti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm not doing an A level course, instead I'm on a more vocational Level 3 course in Music. I'd like to practice writing music essays but I can't find any exemplar questions online? I don't mind if it's Edexcel or AQA or whatever else I just want to practice essay writing itself as I've been learning about classical music and want to put my knowledge to a test.
Has anyone got any examples of titles you've worked on throughout the year or that you got in an exam, or has anyone have any idea where I could find any? Would they be in workbooks or are there any study guides that might include some?

tl;dr: basically i just want some essay title examples cause i cant find any please send help xoxo
Advertisement
nzy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For the Edexcel specification:

The 30 mark essay will ask you about one of the 18 set works which you have to study. You have to evaluate the use of three musical elements in one of the set works (or specific tracks/movements from the set work) in relation to the context of the piece, and then also use other related pieces ('wider listening') to support your points. For example:

"Evaluate J.S. Bach's use of sonority, melody and texture in Movements 1 and 8 of Cantata Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott, BWV 80, in relation to other pieces of sacred choral of the Baroque period. Relate your discussion to other relevant works. These may include set works, wider listening or any other music."
or
"Evaluate Kate Bush's use of sonority, melody and structure in Hounds of Love in relation to its context as a concept album. Relate your discussion to other relevant works. These may include set works, wider listening or any other music."

You can just make up your own essay questions by replacing which musical elements and works are mentioned in the question. The musical elements Edexcel include are:
Sonority (instrumentation, timbre etc.)
Texture
Organisation of pitch (melody and/or harmony)
Tonality
Tempo, metre and rhythm
Structure (and form)
Dynamics (although it rarely comes up because there's little to write about, and its often not very relevant).

You can find more (not that many) on the Edexcel website for A-Level Music under 'Course materials'. I'm sure the same goes for AQA.
Last edited by nzy; 5 months ago
krinyapajti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by nzy)
For the Edexcel specification:

The 30 mark essay will ask you about one of the 18 set works which you have to study. You have to evaluate the use of three musical elements in one of the set works (or specific tracks/movements from the set work) in relation to the context of the piece, and then also use other related pieces ('wider listening') to support your points. For example:

"Evaluate J.S. Bach's use of sonority, melody and texture in Movements 1 and 8 of Cantata Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott, BWV 80, in relation to other pieces of sacred choral of the Baroque period. Relate your discussion to other relevant works. These may include set works, wider listening or any other music."
or
"Evaluate Kate Bush's use of sonority, melody and structure in Hounds of Love in relation to its context as a concept album. Relate your discussion to other relevant works. These may include set works, wider listening or any other music."

You can just make up your own essay questions by replacing which musical elements and works are mentioned in the question. The musical elements Edexcel include are:
Sonority (instrumentation, timbre etc.)
Texture
Organisation of pitch (melody and/or harmony)
Tonality
Tempo, metre and rhythm
Structure (and form)
Dynamics (although it rarely comes up because there's little to write about, and its often not very relevant).

There's also a 20 mark question which asks you to compare three musical elements (same as above) from an unfamiliar listening extract to one of the set works. Once you've decided which work you want to compare it to, the skills are pretty much the same as the 30 marker, but this will probably be more awkward to think up for yourself since they tend to pick obscure pieces for the extract which you wouldn't have thought to listen to in the first place.

You can find more (not that many) on the Edexcel website for A-Level Music under 'Course materials'. I'm sure the same goes for AQA.
Oh my, thank you so much! Extremely helpful.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (252)
34.01%
No (489)
65.99%

Watched Threads