The Student Room Group

Date-onomics

I'm now reading 'Date-onomics: How Dating Became a Lopsided Numbers Game' by Jon Birger.

The author noticed that there are many graduate single women struggling to find a graduate man who is committed.
He writes about it's not their fault, it's the ratio. Now there are 4 graduate women for every 3 graduate men and that so many graduate women are picky in the fact that they also want their man to be a graduate.

Also if you include the gay men being much higher than lesbian women, this further puts numbers against women. And maybe more straight men just want casual sex these days compared to women.

Of course it's great that society has progressed in a way unimaginable to humans before with their primitive mindset. Now more women than ever are going to university and are working. And being homosexual is widely accepted now and same-sex marriage has been legal since 2014.

But I really wonder how these changes have affected the dating world. Of course this is a large scale issue, so just because you know a lot of people settling with someone, it doesn't mean everyone has managed.
Original post by Carlo96
I'm now reading 'Date-onomics: How Dating Became a Lopsided Numbers Game' by Jon Birger.

The author noticed that there are many graduate single women struggling to find a graduate man who is committed.
He writes about it's not their fault, it's the ratio. Now there are 4 graduate women for every 3 graduate men and that so many graduate women are picky in the fact that they also want their man to be a graduate.

Also if you include the gay men being much higher than lesbian women, this further puts numbers against women. And maybe more straight men just want casual sex these days compared to women.

Of course it's great that society has progressed in a way unimaginable to humans before with their primitive mindset. Now more women than ever are going to university and are working. And being homosexual is widely accepted now and same-sex marriage has been legal since 2014.

But I really wonder how these changes have affected the dating world. Of course this is a large scale issue, so just because you know a lot of people settling with someone, it doesn't mean everyone has managed.

One thing I've noticed, especially reading threads on here, is that people break up with their partners for really silly, shallow reasons. Then they complain that they can't find someone and will end up dying alone. Reasons such as they have a middle hair parting instead of a side, or they drink skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed, or they don't like wearing skinny jeans etc. People need to become less picky and more accepting if they want to find a long-term partner.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
One thing I've noticed, especially reading threads on here, is that people break up with their partners for really silly, shallow reasons. Then they complain that they can't find someone and will end up dying alone. Reasons such as they have a middle hair parting instead of a side, or they drink skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed, or they don't like wearing skinny jeans etc. People need to become less picky and more accepting if they want to find a long-term partner.

I agree with this. I think this has also contributed to the increased rate of childlessness by circumstance. A lot of women break up with their boyfriends or husbands for many reasons. Sometimes it's very obvious reasons, sometimes it's as you've mentioned(all the small things). And then by the time they're 35-40, it really feels like time is running out. Sometimes it's shallow reasons but not always, like in cases of cheating and abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending