Accepted portfolio examples for university application

Watch
SophieB123
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need to look at some accepted art portfolios to compare to my own to see if it’s likely to get accepted.
I’m interested in applying for art and design or fine art at the following universities;
Lancaster
Leeds
Loughborough
Newcastle
Northumbria
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It’s not a great idea to focus on other people’s portfolios. They might have been successful but that doesn’t mean your portfolio needs to be similar to be accepted. Your portfolio needs to reflect your work and follow the portfolio guidelines for each university.
SophieB123
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
It’s not a great idea to focus on other people’s portfolios. They might have been successful but that doesn’t mean your portfolio needs to be similar to be accepted. Your portfolio needs to reflect your work and follow the portfolio guidelines for each university.

I do understand your point as each portfolio is different but there’s still a general level of quality and skill that can be compared. It would also be useful to see how much work was needed to be accepted to see if I need to do any more. I can’t see how it can be a bad idea to look at other people’s portfolios just for little bit of inspiration and guidance
JulieClareRead
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
As the previous person said, it can be really detrimental to focus too much on others' portfolios. What's important it YOU, your ideas, what interests do you have that you can show in your folio? This will make your portfolio individual and about you, not anyone else, therefore unique. So get your creative process clear (research, development, context and final outcomes - with your reflection too) as you do in school, and get thinking how you can use your interests, hobbies, job, pet hates, social observations and make art about it...hope that helps - maybe a bit harsh but real :-)
SophieB123
Rep:
(Original post by JulieClareRead)
As the previous person said, it can be really detrimental to focus too much on others' portfolios. What's important it YOU, your ideas, what interests do you have that you can show in your folio? This will make your portfolio individual and about you, not anyone else, therefore unique. So get your creative process clear (research, development, context and final outcomes - with your reflection too) as you do in school, and get thinking how you can use your interests, hobbies, job, pet hates, social observations and make art about it...hope that helps - maybe a bit harsh but real :-)
Yes this is helpful and I am aware that people keep saying don’t focus on other peoples portfolios but it’s not as if I was going to copy or imitate their work. It’s just helpful to see others for guidance and to know that I’m on the right track. It seems that people are ignoring the fact that there’s a variation in technical ability and skill and that it doesn’t matter, when surely it does. It seems I’m not getting the answer that I wanted but I would still like to thank you for replying and I honestly will take your advice on board.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SophieB123)
Yes this is helpful and I am aware that people keep saying don’t focus on other peoples portfolios but it’s not as if I was going to copy or imitate their work. It’s just helpful to see others for guidance and to know that I’m on the right track. It seems that people are ignoring the fact that there’s a variation in technical ability and skill and that it doesn’t matter, when surely it does. It seems I’m not getting the answer that I wanted but I would still like to thank you for replying and I honestly will take your advice on board.
It would be foolish for anyone to give you access to their portfolio. Why not ask your teachers for feedback?
SophieB123
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
It would be foolish for anyone to give you access to their portfolio. Why not ask your teachers for feedback?
I didn’t think it was a problem to look at old portfolios
We get few examples each year to look at and I just though I could access some more. I can’t ask the teachers since it’s the holidays and I’m getting new ones for year 13
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I didn’t think it was a problem to look at old portfolios
We get few examples each year to look at and I just though I could access some more. I can’t ask the teachers since it’s the holidays and I’m getting new ones for year 13
Yes - it can be a problem if they are not your school. Teachers are in today and can be e-mailed even in the holidays!
SophieB123
Rep:
Yes - it can be a problem if they are not your school. Teachers are in today and can be e-mailed even in the holidays!
Emailing my new teachers at this point would be useless. They haven’t seen my portfolio and I wouldn’t expect them to do it during their holidays, and you don’t know that they are in My school right now. I have seen portfolios from other school so I was under the impression i would be able to look at more examples but apparently I’m wrong. Lol !
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Emailing my new teachers at this point would be useless. They haven’t seen my portfolio and I wouldn’t expect them to do it during their holidays, and you don’t know that they are in My school right now. I have seen portfolios from other school so I was under the impression i would be able to look at more examples but apparently I’m wrong. Lol !
If your teacher shows you a portfolio or it comes from an exam board then that is fine. Your teachers have to be able to say your work is your own -

Nearly all the teachers will go in on GCSE results day -
SophieB123
Rep:
If your teacher shows you a portfolio or it comes from an exam board then that is fine. Your teachers have to be able to say your work is your own -

Nearly all the teachers will go in on GCSE results day -
Well If there’s a chance that my teachers are in then they will probably be busy right now. Teachers show us examples for a reason, so we can look at them to compare and be inspired. That’s all I wanted.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well If there’s a chance that my teachers are in then they will probably be busy right now. Teachers show us examples for a reason, so we can look at them to compare and be inspired. That’s all I wanted.
They'll have finished by now and can pick up an e-mail any time.

Yes but they need to know what you've seen so they know it's your work.
SophieB123
Rep:
They'll have finished by now and can pick up an e-mail any time.

Yes but they need to know what you've seen so they know it's your work.
Well anyway, I’m not getting any closer to a portfolio example with this discussion but thank you for your contribution.
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There's lots of examples on the Glasgow School of Art website - but that's for GSA of course. But the courses don't vary THAT much, but you must look at what each course specify they want to see. GSA have digital folio submissions, Fine Art ask for 25 images, so many of sketchbook / development work and so many final pieces, quite clear and concise guidelines. I would say to you that your ideas are THE most important thing, technical ability is important yes, but technique can be taught, ideas are more difficult to teach. Therefore to show your ideas is what I suggested as being where you should focus, as showing good technique on weak or uninspired ideas won't get you anywhere. I can help you further if you wish...
SophieB123
Rep:
(Original post by JulieClareRead)
There's lots of examples on the Glasgow School of Art website - but that's for GSA of course. But the courses don't vary THAT much, but you must look at what each course specify they want to see. GSA have digital folio submissions, Fine Art ask for 25 images, so many of sketchbook / development work and so many final pieces, quite clear and concise guidelines. I would say to you that your ideas are THE most important thing, technical ability is important yes, but technique can be taught, ideas are more difficult to teach. Therefore to show your ideas is what I suggested as being where you should focus, as showing good technique on weak or uninspired ideas won't get you anywhere. I can help you further if you wish...
Yes!! Thank you. I didn’t realise there were examples on their website. I honestly do understand the importance if it being a self motivated idea but that’s something that I don’t need an example for because like you said you can only do that yourself. I think people were under the impression that I was only wanting to focus on technical ability when in reality I just wanted to see examples of the variations of technical ability.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you want to see some of the variety then
https://www.studentartguide.com/arti...-or-university is not a bad site. However it's worth remembering that the examples on there are mostly designed to "show off" a bit...and they're often from students who have completed A levels and also completed an art & design foundation diploma (so A levels plus a full year extra studying art and working on a portfolio full time). I've known applicants to be discouraged by that site.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...576&highlight= has a bunch of architecture portfolios from previous years which is different but does show that there's a big variation in the type of work and presentations.
SophieB123
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
If you want to see some of the variety then
https://www.studentartguide.com/arti...-or-university is not a bad site. However it's worth remembering that the examples on there are mostly designed to "show off" a bit...and they're often from students who have completed A levels and also completed an art & design foundation diploma (so A levels plus a full year extra studying art and working on a portfolio full time). I've known applicants to be discouraged by that site.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...576&highlight= has a bunch of architecture portfolios from previous years which is different but does show that there's a big variation in the type of work and presentations.
Thank you so much, this is all I wanted in the first place. I probably could have worded it better.
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Click on the subject choices below on this page, you'll get a PDF you can save. http://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/undergrad...rt-and-design/
Lola Mercury
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If I was to make a portfolio, it would be made either at home, or at evening/weekend classes - it's been 22 years since I was at school, and 24 years since GCSE Art! Do you think it could be an advantage to be learning again, being older (and hopefully wiser!) without a specific curriculum? I think it should give more freedom, and it will be interesting to see how my art now will be different from what it was then.
Mollypage21
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I need to look at some accepted art portfolios to compare to my own to see if it’s likely to get accepted.
I’m interested in applying for art and design or fine art at the following universities;
Lancaster
Leeds
Loughborough
Newcastle
Northumbria
Hey! I’m applying to Leeds and Loughborough and Newcastle, the main advice I can give you is to look on the website at the portfolio requirements and figure it out from there, as they all want different things. Newcastle want to see not only skill but pathway ideas and sketches to show your ability to cultivate an idea and turn it into a final piece through processes, like a journey. However Loughborough wants a different approach, they want to see your own technique and what you would like to focus on in their facilities. I’m not a drawing or painting based artist, I love installation pieces and political art, so for me I’ve struggled with my portfolio for a while as I’m scared that they will point out my lack of drawing etc. So I decided to add a few of my drawing pieces in along with sketches to show that I can draw but I am mainly focused on what I want to present to show my style of art and who I am as an artist. That’s the best you can do really hope this helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (12)
8.82%
Okay (40)
29.41%
A bit lacking (48)
35.29%
Not good at all (36)
26.47%

Watched Threads