The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ham96
No i finished just before they moved to it.

Ah I see. Can I ask which other universities you chose and why you ended up picking Swansea? To me, the prospect of studying in the brand new facilities of the Bay Campus is what's drawing me to Swansea despite it having the lowest entry requirements out of my choices, not that all of that stuff actually matters.

I'm extremely curious about the links to industry and how good the careers department is. I'm a mature student so I really want a good start and I'm wondering how much the university aids applicants in that endeavour
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by yaszenn
Ah I see. Can I ask which other universities you chose and why you ended up picking Swansea? To me, the prospect of studying in the brand new facilities of the Bay Campus is what's drawing me to Swansea despite it having the lowest entry requirements out of my choices, not that all of that stuff actually matters.

I'm extremely curious about the links to industry and how good the careers department is. I'm a mature student so I really want a good start and I'm wondering how much the university aids applicants in that endeavour

I would like to point out that the CS department is ranked in the Top 30 in the UK, and goes up every year.

I didn't do much search back then to be honest.

I was living in Brighton before, didn't like the big city vibe, so I was looking at small and quite place. my choices were Kent, Leeds and Swansea., I visited these places and felt Swansea matched what I was looking for.

Didn't regret going there at all.

Sometimes we get visits from Swansea uni alumnus who give talks about their companies and provide opportunities for students.

From what I recall we had visits from Tata Steel, they are based in Port talbot, they were looking for people to work for them.

We also had visit from google, they really like Swansea graduates, and they encourge students to apply for roles, also lecturers at the university arrange study group every week to help students to pass technical code interviews.

We also have career fair held annually, where companies like IBM, GBM are present.

From time to time, the department emails students about work/Internship opportunists for several organisations.

The department provides the course with year in industry, if you could secure a placement you can leave after your second year and work and then get back to finish your third year, gaining a hands on experience will give you an advantage when applying for jobs upon graduation.

You can also work and support students in the labs for some modules and you will get paid per hour but you have to be proficient in the coding language or the material used in the class.

In terms of getting help with your job hunting, the university has a career centre where you can book an appointment with an adviser and they will help you with writing your resume etc...

I hope this helps.:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ham96
I would like to point out that the CS department is ranked in the Top 30 in the UK, and goes up every year.
I hope this helps.:smile:

Thank you ever so much @ham96 ! That's a lot of really helpful info. I'm glad the department is so supportive with regards to careers.
Also a Swansea applicant here... For Medical Genetics. Had my offer - woo hoo!
Reply 24
Original post by yaszenn
Thank you ever so much @ham96 ! That's a lot of really helpful info. I'm glad the department is so supportive with regards to careers.

Happy to help ^_^.
Reply 25
Original post by Fartoooldforthis
Also a Swansea applicant here... For Medical Genetics. Had my offer - woo hoo!

Congrats :smile:.
Ive got an offer from Swansea to do Chemical engineering but it is quite far away and ive not been to the open day so still deciding as I want to go to a uni with a big city and great nightlife
Reply 27
Original post by harris358
Ive got an offer from Swansea to do Chemical engineering but it is quite far away and ive not been to the open day so still deciding as I want to go to a uni with a big city and great nightlife

There are quite decent clubs in town and Cardiff is less than hour away, and the trains operate frequently.

I've got an offer from there too!
Original post by HannahWilson9
I've got an offer from there too!

For Chemical engineering? and is Swansea uni going to be your first choice
For Chemical engineering? and is Swansea uni going to be your first choice

Chem Eng is my insurance because I want to do Dentistry. But I haven't heard back from the unis so might be doing Chem Eng
On the Website it says 33-34 IB points and i scored 33 so do I have a good chance of getting in?
Reply 32
Applying for child nursing, only had my application sent off last friday so still waiting for a response.
I'm doing an access course right now and I've also picked: leeds, birmingham, city uol and surrey :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Applied for: Neurophysiology
GCSEs: 9,8,8,7,7,7,6,6,5
A level: ABB predicted

Hiya, I've applied for the same course! Have you had your interview yet? how did it go?
I've got mine in three days... do you have any tips for the day?
Original post by ham96
Hello! I did my BSc in computer science at Swansea and graduated in 2018.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Hi! I’m applying to do BSc Computer science starting 2020, but I’m a bit nervous. Swansea is my top choice but the grades I’ve been offered are also the highest (AAB). Whilst I’d love to be positive, I’m super worried if I won’t get them what that’ll mean for uni. Do you know if Swansea are known to lower their grades once the ALevel results are posted or if there’s anyway to lower your grades etc?
Thank you!
Reply 35
I got my offer for chemical engineering at Swansea a couple of weeks ago :smile:
Original post by Emdav01
I got my offer for chemical engineering at Swansea a couple of weeks ago :smile:

Congrats! I just applied today. Do you mind me asking how long it took them to get back to you?
Reply 37
Original post by Adrian Secăreanu
Congrats! I just applied today. Do you mind me asking how long it took them to get back to you?

Did you apply for chemical engineering too? It took about 2 days to get a response back, good luck :smile:
Yes, chemical engineering, thanks!
Original post by Emdav01
Did you apply for chemical engineering too? It took about 2 days to get a response back, good luck :smile:

Ive applied for chem eng as well, is Swansea uni going to be your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest