Jabeir10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, i wanted to know, so ive attempted a HND 2 year course before and i would like to retake as i couldnt complete it, i only did 1 and half year so technically 2 years. This was 2010-12. And couldnt study until now due to personal reasons.

I called SFE today. They said i only have 1 year left of full funding available. Would it be possible that SFE (student finance) would fund the 1st year as i have 1 year funding left and then i fund myself in 2nd year?

Any advise would be really appreciated.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jabeir10)
Hi, i wanted to know, so ive attempted a HND 2 year course before and i would like to retake as i couldnt complete it, i only did 1 and half year so technically 2 years. This was 2010-12. And couldnt study until now due to personal reasons.

I called SFE today. They said i only have 1 year left of full funding available. Would it be possible that SFE (student finance) would fund the 1st year as i have 1 year funding left and then i fund myself in 2nd year?

SFE will always make you study unfunded years first.

If you have any evidence (illness including mental illness, bereavement etc) for compelling personal reasons leading to you dropping out before then SFE might disregard one of your previous years and fund your new course in full.

You can still get a maintenance loan for both years.

Another alternative to consider is to study part time - part time previous study allowances are much more generous than full time.
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi there,

Your remaining entitlement will always apply to the latter years. You will still receive a Maintenance Loan. If you don't mind me asking, was there a reason out of your control that stopped you from completing the course previously? Did you withdraw/suspend?

Regards,
Nihad
Jabeir10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Nihad)
Hi there,

Your remaining entitlement will always apply to the latter years. You will still receive a Maintenance Loan. If you don't mind me asking, was there a reason out of your control that stopped you from completing the course previously? Did you withdraw/suspend?

Regards,
Nihad
Thanks for your reply, i did a 2 year HND, but failed 2 modules in year 2, so want to re do it again. So i didnt drop out technically.

So i spoke to an SFE rep, they said i only have 1 year left so id need compelling reasons for another year.

I had a major back problem, called thoracic spine syndrome which affects daily movement and had anxiety from it so was prescribed with anti depressants. This all stemmed from 2012 to 2019 so now.

Ive done my own cover letter and got a letter from my gp of a medical report of what has been going on with me. Would that suffice?
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply, i did a 2 year HND, but failed 2 modules in year 2, so want to re do it again. So i didnt drop out technically.

So i spoke to an SFE rep, they said i only have 1 year left so id need compelling reasons for another year.

I had a major back problem, called thoracic spine syndrome which affects daily movement and had anxiety from it so was prescribed with anti depressants. This all stemmed from 2012 to 2019 so now.

Ive done my own cover letter and got a letter from my gp of a medical report of what has been going on with me. Would that suffice?
I see, thank you for clarifying this. So the evidence needs to confirm when this took place, what the condition was and how it affected your studies during the affected academic year. If the evidence does not specifically correspond with the relevant academic year for which you are claiming Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) or it doesn't touch on the rest of the requirements then this will not be considered as sufficient. The evidence also needs to be signed, dated and on headed paper.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.09%
Disagree (4)
7.27%
Neither agree or disagree (16)
29.09%
Agree (19)
34.55%
Strongly Agree (11)
20%

Watched Threads