The Student Room Group

Ordering bigger parcels to uni accommodation?

So I know we can order normal things to our uni halls, but I was wondering if there’s some kind of size limit. There are electronic things that I can’t get at home, but I can easily buy online at uni and get them delivered there. I’ve heard of students ordering huge things like TVs and even instruments like a full sized guitar, but I’m wondering if the uni would accept the parcel?

I’m going to Lancaster uni btw
here's a totally random idea.......why not email the uni accommodation team and just ask? that way, you will know for sure and are not relying to possibly wrong information off a stranger!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
here's a totally random idea.......why not email the uni accommodation team and just ask? that way, you will know for sure and are not relying to possibly wrong information off a stranger!

Aha that’s actually a good idea. Well I feel stupid 😅😅😅. Anyway I’ll do it in the morning
So I know we can order normal things to our uni halls, but I was wondering if there’s some kind of size limit. There are electronic things that I can’t get at home, but I can easily buy online at uni and get them delivered there. I’ve heard of students ordering huge things like TVs and even instruments like a full sized guitar, but I’m wondering if the uni would accept the parcel?

If your halls has a central office/reception, they will usually accept parcels for you (although they may state somewhere that they have the right to refuse to receive/sign for parcels in some cases). If your halls has an office/reception, then you may be asked to send parcels to a different address/building so these can be received securely.

It's best to contact your hall provider and ask what the procedure is.

Hello!
Yes I think they would...
Essentially all mail is sent to your college porters and you go by to collect it (and show your ID). The porters might get annoyed but it should be fine - it would be best to let them know in advance but it'll probably get dropped off in the lodge and then you'll have to take it up to your flat. They tend to be friendly and understanding.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Definitely ask, however at Unite accommodation I ordered a bin (full sized kitchen bin for my room!), and a 35l storage box in the same order and they accepted them no problem, it might be hard to get them up to your room though!

Quick Reply

Latest