mpcwa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
1) the science stuff you learn- can you tell me a bit more and give some examples of topics.

2) the clinical things you learn- give some examples of procedures.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
1) the science stuff you learn- can you tell me a bit more and give some examples of topics.

2) the clinical things you learn- give some examples of procedures.

1) Pre-clinical medicine: anatomy, pathology, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology for all the body systems. Also some psychology, sociology, communication skills, and an optional module or two.

Clinical medicine: rotating through general internal medicine, surgery, A&E, O&G, paediatrics, GP, psychiatry, etc. Also an elective period which you can spend in any specialty anywhere you like including abroad.

2) Procedures: venepuncture, cannulation, ABGs, urinary catheterisation, SC/IM injections, ECGs, basic airway management etc.

Didn't you say in your other thread that you already have an offer? This is all very 'googling "what's the EU" the day after the referendum'
mpcwa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
1) Pre-clinical medicine: anatomy, pathology, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology for all the body systems. Also some psychology, sociology, communication skills, and an optional module or two.

Clinical medicine: rotating through general internal medicine, surgery, A&E, O&G, paediatrics, GP, psychiatry, etc. Also an elective period which you can spend in any specialty anywhere you like including abroad.

2) Procedures: venepuncture, cannulation, ABGs, urinary catheterisation, SC/IM injections, ECGs, basic airway management etc.

Didn't you say in your other thread that you already have an offer? This is all very 'googling "what's the EU" the day after the referendum'
hahaahahahahahh thanks, and yh that's so true. Tbf I knew all of that, not some of the clinical stuff, but thanks
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
hahaahahahahahh thanks, and yh that's so true. Tbf I knew all of that, not some of the clinical stuff, but thanks
Lol, you've got your offer so that's one of the biggest hurdles in your career over and done with - just relax now and enjoy it
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Lol, you've got your offer so that's one of the biggest hurdles in your career over and done with - just relax now and enjoy it
All I hear is negatives from doctors tho. Puts me off a tad (a lot), I can't lie. Makes me question what the hell I'm doing. I have never dreamt of being a doctor. I think the course sounds interesting, I don't really know what else I would do which ticks all the boxes, plus the job has a lot of positives (along with thousands of negatives). and in a lot of ways medicine is a flexible vocation. I am just not sure at this stage whether I can say I would like the job... so it's a question of do I take a risk and study medicine or do I take a risk by dropping medicine and potentially dropping an amazing opportunity, but going for a less risky course which is just 3 years and not as difficult.
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
All I hear is negatives from doctors tho. Puts me off a tad (a lot), I can't lie. Makes me question what the hell I'm doing. I have never dreamt of being a doctor. I think the course sounds interesting, I don't really know what else I would do which ticks all the boxes, plus the job has a lot of positives (along with thousands of negatives). and in a lot of ways medicine is a flexible vocation. I am just not sure at this stage whether I can say I would like the job... so it's a question of do I take a risk and study medicine or do I take a risk by dropping medicine and potentially dropping an amazing opportunity, but going for a less risky course which is just 3 years and not as difficult.
What kind of Doctor do you want to be? Most med students have some idea like paeds/GP/psych/surgery/A&E/etc - even if this does change over the course. What was it that originally interested you in medicine and made you choose THAT over all the other courses out there?
mpcwa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marathi)
What kind of Doctor do you want to be? Most med students have some idea like paeds/GP/psych/surgery/A&E/etc - even if this does change over the course. What was it that originally interested you in medicine and made you choose THAT over all the other courses out there?
GP or psych. I'd say it was probably because it's a course I think I will find interesting, with good employment prospects tbh.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
I mean, you've never done it. You've just finished sixth form!

Try not to overanalyse. You didn't apply for medicine on a whim or by accident. Stop listening to what everyone else is saying and give yourself a chance to make your own impressions. Don't overthink.
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
You must have answered some of these questions in your PS and interviews? What feels like its changed since then?
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mpcwa)
Doctors like to whinge - me included! There are a lot of things to complain about that are very frustrating and demoralising. But I do actually enjoy my job! I get to do a lot of fun stuff, and the reason why I became a doctor is still there - disease is interesting, people are interesting, and I get to interact with both every day.
mpcwa
Rep:
?
I mean, you've never done it. You've just finished sixth form!

Try not to overanalyse. You didn't apply for medicine on a whim or by accident. Stop listening to what everyone else is saying and give yourself a chance to make your own impressions. Don't overthink.
(Original post by 2500_2)
You must have answered some of these questions in your PS and interviews? What feels like its changed since then?
Nothing has changed really, idk
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Doctors like to whinge - me included! There are a lot of things to complain about that are very frustrating and demoralising. But I do actually enjoy my job! I get to do a lot of fun stuff, and the reason why I became a doctor is still there - disease is interesting, people are interesting, and I get to interact with both every day.
Thanks everyone. I think i should probably go and give it a try and see what happens. I am pretty certain the course will interest me. I have already taken a gap year and festered at home all year not getting anywhere. Was considering swapping to a different course in clearing (either one which interests me less (economics/ accounting), or a different one which is hard, bit more interesting but not as useful (biology and maths degree- probs wouldn't work in a lab at the end tho) so that was/ is an option. But I am still so stuck. I don't know if medicine will be forever for me. It might be but I literally cannot say. There is a lot of stress involved with it but there are also perks of the job which none others have. At the moment I am probably going to go with the plan that I will either leave after first year if I hate it and decide it's not for me (bit upsetting because I will then be 2 years behind) or I will intercalate in something. Does anyone know how hard biochemistry is to intercalate in- how much of a foundation does the medicine degree give you. Because it sounds hard to be thrown into the third year of something when you've only been touching on it so far. But maybe I will always wonder 'what if' if I don't give it a shot...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.41%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.66%
No (129)
35.93%

Watched Threads