The Student Room Group

Oxbridge chances

Hi I will be a Year 12 student in september - I have done an AS philosophy exam along with my GCSEs in school. I want to do medicine - will unis consider that exam as part of GCSEs? I got a B in it - are my chances massively lower for oxbridge?
Reply 1
Hi,
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge once and somebody asked a similar question and they said that they do look at it as an AS Level but it doesn't improve your chances of a place

Hope this helped
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
For medicine specifically, your A-Levels in Maths, Bio, Chem, (Phys if you do it) are more relevant and will be the subjects they look at and will mention in any potential offer.

A B at AS Psychology is fine. They will consider it as an AS-Level but it doesn't really do much to hurt or harm your chances. They will be more concerned with things like the BMAT and what you say at interviews.
Reply 3
Original post by R T
For medicine specifically, your A-Levels in Maths, Bio, Chem, (Phys if you do it) are more relevant and will be the subjects they look at and will mention in any potential offer.

A B at AS Psychology is fine. They will consider it as an AS-Level but it doesn't really do much to hurt or harm your chances. They will be more concerned with things like the BMAT and what you say at interviews.

Thanks, I just wanted to check that they don't group with GCSEs - it was philosophy btw :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by eshakaur11
Hi,
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge once and somebody asked a similar question and they said that they do look at it as an AS Level but it doesn't improve your chances of a place

Hope this helped

Thanks a lot - I just wondered if it would decrease my chances of a place and if it would be grouped with GCSE results?
Reply 5
Original post by swapnanilde
Thanks a lot - I just wondered if it would decrease my chances of a place and if it would be grouped with GCSE results?

No they said that it is considered as an AS, doing it early doesn't mean it is accounted for as a GCSE, but AS results are generally not considered when giving offers so I don't think it would disadvantage you or even give you an advantage to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending