swapnanilde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I will be a Year 12 student in september - I have done an AS philosophy exam along with my GCSEs in school. I want to do medicine - will unis consider that exam as part of GCSEs? I got a B in it - are my chances massively lower for oxbridge?
eshakaur11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge once and somebody asked a similar question and they said that they do look at it as an AS Level but it doesn't improve your chances of a place

Hope this helped
Last edited by eshakaur11; 4 weeks ago
R T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For medicine specifically, your A-Levels in Maths, Bio, Chem, (Phys if you do it) are more relevant and will be the subjects they look at and will mention in any potential offer.

A B at AS Psychology is fine. They will consider it as an AS-Level but it doesn't really do much to hurt or harm your chances. They will be more concerned with things like the BMAT and what you say at interviews.
swapnanilde
Rep:
?
(Original post by R T)
For medicine specifically, your A-Levels in Maths, Bio, Chem, (Phys if you do it) are more relevant and will be the subjects they look at and will mention in any potential offer.

A B at AS Psychology is fine. They will consider it as an AS-Level but it doesn't really do much to hurt or harm your chances. They will be more concerned with things like the BMAT and what you say at interviews.
Thanks, I just wanted to check that they don't group with GCSEs - it was philosophy btw
swapnanilde
Rep:
?
(Original post by eshakaur11)
Hi,
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge once and somebody asked a similar question and they said that they do look at it as an AS Level but it doesn't improve your chances of a place

Hope this helped
Thanks a lot - I just wondered if it would decrease my chances of a place and if it would be grouped with GCSE results?
eshakaur11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by swapnanilde)
Thanks a lot - I just wondered if it would decrease my chances of a place and if it would be grouped with GCSE results?
No they said that it is considered as an AS, doing it early doesn't mean it is accounted for as a GCSE, but AS results are generally not considered when giving offers so I don't think it would disadvantage you or even give you an advantage to be honest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.66%
Pop (230)
24.73%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.71%