The Student Room Group

Gay Voice

So as a straight guy I have a gay voice which is very annoying and makes me very self conscious so that I talk as quietly and as little as often. After speaking to friends, they revealed they thought I was gay when they first met me because of my voice and the way I sounded.

I think my voice puts girls off me too with very little interest from them and am a little worried starting Uni in September that people will assume I'm gay from the off which obviously I don't want. Guys are very uneasy and hesitant getting to know me as they don't want to be associated with someone they assume is gay and girls stay well clear in a romantic sense as they assume the same.

Is there a way to change my voice either through surgery/therapy etc. as it really knocks the confidence out of me, especially if at Uni I will meet new people and want to make friends and have to do group work/presentations where I have to project my voice in front of people I don't want to be so self conscious and have everyone assume I'm gay. Or do I just pretend to everyone I'm gay so they don't assume or speculate to save potential embarrassment? Help!

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
So as a straight guy I have a gay voice which is very annoying and makes me very self conscious so that I talk as quietly and as little as often. After speaking to friends, they revealed they thought I was gay when they first met me because of my voice and the way I sounded.

I think my voice puts girls off me too with very little interest from them and am a little worried starting Uni in September that people will assume I'm gay from the off which obviously I don't want. Guys are very uneasy and hesitant getting to know me as they don't want to be associated with someone they assume is gay and girls stay well clear in a romantic sense as they assume the same.

Is there a way to change my voice either through surgery/therapy etc. as it really knocks the confidence out of me, especially if at Uni I will meet new people and want to make friends and have to do group work/presentations where I have to project my voice in front of people I don't want to be so self conscious and have everyone assume I'm gay. Or do I just pretend to everyone I'm gay so they don't assume or speculate to save potential embarrassment? Help!

Thanks!

Don’t worry about it too much, my landlord is 6’5”, gets constantly mistaken as gay due to his voice and other things about him and still manages to get laid. Just be confident in yourself and with other people
Reply 2
Don't pretend your gay because when u find a girl u like then ur screwed. Maybe when u speak u seem excited so just take it easy and relax once wen u talk. U could also try speak to one of ur friends or call them and try find a level ground on how u should convey your voice.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks!

you're just going to have to put on a fake voice until you get so used to doing it, it feels natural and not fake anymore and is the way you genuinly talk
Put a slipper up there nostrils, that should teach them to not assume your sexuality.
I don't understand how can someone have a 'gay voice'... that's very stereotypical!
I'm closeted lesbian, I'd love to know what a 'gay voice' is lol.
What is "gay" for a voice? Flamboyant? Deep? Not really sure what that means but don't let it bother you if you feel you have a voice that isn't attractive. You voice still develops when you get older.
I've never heard of a gay voice but some guys definitely have a gay "accent."
Define 'gay voice'?

Sounds like a massive stereotype that is largely unrelated from a reality. Don't overthink it and be you.

Moronic people will link some voices and everyday behaviours to sexuality - stay away from morons and don't be one yourself.

Being 'gay' or being 'straight' has nothing to do with your voice.

Both being 'gay' or 'straight' or anything else on that continuum are positive things, being a moron and making reductive assumptions about other peoples' identities is a negative thing.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest