The Student Room Group

Cold showers - Good or bad

Hi everyone,

So I started taking cold showers about a few months ago for 'health' reasons. At first they did make me ill and then I sort of became used to them. Recently, I have been feeling quite unwell and I wonder if it is a combination of the cooling weather and cold showers.

Anyone else take them? Have they ever lead to you feeling ill?

Scroll to see replies

lukewarm -_-
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Umair_B_K
lukewarm -_-

That wouldn't be "cold showers".
man i cant do cold showers ugh nooooooo

i love a hot shower, i usually have the temperature on like 40 degrees LOL, relatively hot id say :colondollar:
never...

i would stay not having a shower for a week if the warm water ran out
Reply 6
lol Fair enough.

Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
never...

i would stay not having a shower for a week if the warm water ran out
I can deal with cold showers, but nowadays I’ve been put off by hot showers so now I just have lukewarm ones.
Never made me feel ill though, that’s strange.
I started having cold showers but stopped recently. I quite enjoyed them tbf
Yes but if straight up cold showers are messing with u then u gotta adjust. What do u want me to say yes keep doing the thing that seems to be making u ill god speed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by StargazingFloof
I can deal with cold showers, but nowadays I’ve been put off by hot showers so now I just have lukewarm ones.
Never made me feel ill though, that’s strange.

Might be because I am constantly taking only cold showers, twice a day. Obviously I cannot know for certain what is making me ill but I have a feeling it is the showers.
Original post by Prussianxo
I started having cold showers but stopped recently. I quite enjoyed them tbf

lmao I never enjoy them.
Why did you stop?
I think the weather got cold so I sort of became less tolerant. And then I never got back into it
Depends on how you dress in general, if you dress light and go out immediately after having a cold shower then it's quite likely the case you caught a cold. But then again it could also be stress ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Personally, I only have cold showers when the boiler decides to be a tw*t and not work. At first it's hard but you just gotta wet the limbs and then spray the torso, back and head with water as they are the hardest parts to do. From there your body adjusts lol.
Original post by Umair_B_K
Yes but if straight up cold showers are messing with u then u gotta adjust. What do u want me to say yes keep doing the thing that seems to be making u ill god speed.

Calm son, calm. On a more serious note, I am sorry if I came across rude. My question in the original post was directed at people who take cold showers and their experience. Forgive me but I found your "lukewarm" response somewhat... unhelpful.
Life is meant to be enjoyed. Not a cat's chance in Hell I'd spend it taking cold showers. Has to be hot for me.
Yeah, that might be it actually. Or stress. It is just quite frustrating because both times I have been ill because of cold showers (or so I think) I have also been going through stressful periods in life. I really do think it is a healthy habit to adopt but I keep having doubts about it, obvs it isn't doing me any good if I am getting ill. Thanks for your input.

Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Depends on how you dress in general, if you dress light and go out immediately after having a cold shower then it's quite likely the case you caught a cold. But then again it could also be stress ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Personally, I only have cold showers when the boiler decides to be a tw*t and not work. At first it's hard but you just gotta wet the limbs and then spray the torso, back and head with water as they are the hardest parts to do. From there your body adjusts lol.
No ur right it wasn't very helpful apologies, u probably need to adjust the duration ur in the shower for gotta keep it short. Plus the number of showers ur taking. That and make sure ur compensating for the fact that ur body is gonna be at a lower temp them normal with clothing choice.
Been taking cold showers daily for over a year. Never felt ill because of them.

It's all about controlling your breath and your mind. If you can do these things, you can push through it.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Been taking cold showers daily for over a year. Never felt ill because of them.

It's all about controlling your breath and your mind. If you can do these things, you can push through it.

Do you take them in winter as well?

Latest