The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
i would stay not having a shower for a week if the warm water ran out

I just boil a kettle and add cold water, haha

I occasionally have cold showers, they cool me down and are nice. Not sure of the health impacts, ngl. But I'm still doing it
Yep.

If it's too much for you, ease your way into them. Start off with lukewarm and every 30 seconds make it that little bit colder. At the end of the shower, have the water on ice cold and stay under it for 60 seconds.

^ I've never tried this but it seems like it would be effective. I just jump straight into it ice cold lol.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Yep.

If it's too much for you, ease your way into them. Start off with lukewarm and every 30 seconds make it that little bit colder. At the end of the shower, have the water on ice cold and stay under it for 60 seconds.

^ I've never tried this but it seems like it would be effective. I just jump straight into it ice cold lol.

No, it isn't hard for me to take them. I just snap and turn on the shower (entirely cold). The problem is that I got ill - I think because of the showers - which is why I wanted to get people's opinions. If you are not getting ill because of them, then for it it might just be that I sometimes leave the house immediately after having taken one. Or that I am taking two a day. Thank Josh, appreciate the input.
It could possibly be that yeah. Just make sure you wrap up warm :tongue:
Np :smile:
It's good if you have curly hair. This is because heat can make curly hair frizzy.
Original post by farzana92
It's good if you have curly hair. This is because heat can make curly hair frizzy.

thank yuu
I love cold showers, especially in the summer. Am always really hot so is a good way to cool down and is better for your hair to be washed under cool water than hot water
if you have a cold shower during a heat wave, it will feel niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Don’t have it twice a day. It’s probably the issue. Dunno why, don’t ask but when it happened to me, my mum told me not to shower twice. And for some reason it worked.
If you're healthy and feeling healthy a cold shower (within reason) won't do you harm and for some people in certain ways could do you good.

If you're not healthy and feeling poorly a cold shower could do you significant harm.

In short, take it easy and take a break until you're feeling more up to it and if you have a longterm underlying health issue talk to your doctor first.
(edited 4 years ago)
a lot of bro science around cold showers and not enough actual scientific evidence
Realistically, you should be rotating between both cold and hot water. When cold water touches the surface of your body, your hypothalamus thinks your body internally is cold and therefore takes all measures to increase your body temperature i.e. make hairs on skin surface stand, pump blood faster, goosebumps, decreases sweating to absorb maximum heat from the surroundings.

Doing this continually is not a good idea as though your cold on the inside, your core body temperature increases, not exponentially but its not okay for your body temp to continually increase as this could slow down your metabolic rate as enzymes denature, reducing the amount of nutrients you get due to minor reduction in cellular activity. It could also provide an environment enabling bacteria and viruses to ideally survive and replicate at their optimum temperature. Which is usually why people tend to get sick.

Having showers in hot water is not the best idea either as this will result your body to think your hot, and increases sweat production, flattens hair on skin surface, increases urine production, etc. Which is also a negative impact, as your body temperature lowers, enzyme activity is slower and many
become inactive therefore simple processes such as digestion may not occur to their full potential i.e. not all of your food will be digested giving restricted growth and repair. Also reduced enzyme activity in terms of secreting hormones and phagocytes or lymphocytes functioning properly. Hence why again you get sick.

This is why I prefer rotating between the two. Start at cold and when your body becomes more aware of the changes gradual increase to hot until again the heat is recognised, decrease the temp and vice versa,
Original post by PrazzPrazz
Realistically, you should be rotating between both cold and hot water. When cold water touches the surface of your body, your hypothalamus thinks your body internally is cold and therefore takes all measures to increase your body temperature i.e. make hairs on skin surface stand, pump blood faster, goosebumps, decreases sweating to absorb maximum heat from the surroundings.

Doing this continually is not a good idea as though your cold on the inside, your core body temperature increases, not exponentially but its not okay for your body temp to continually increase as this could slow down your metabolic rate as enzymes denature, reducing the amount of nutrients you get due to minor reduction in cellular activity. It could also provide an environment enabling bacteria and viruses to ideally survive and replicate at their optimum temperature. Which is usually why people tend to get sick.

Having showers in hot water is not the best idea either as this will result your body to think your hot, and increases sweat production, flattens hair on skin surface, increases urine production, etc. Which is also a negative impact, as your body temperature lowers, enzyme activity is slower and many
become inactive therefore simple processes such as digestion may not occur to their full potential i.e. not all of your food will be digested giving restricted growth and repair. Also reduced enzyme activity in terms of secreting hormones and phagocytes or lymphocytes functioning properly. Hence why again you get sick.

This is why I prefer rotating between the two. Start at cold and when your body becomes more aware of the changes gradual increase to hot until again the heat is recognised, decrease the temp and vice versa,

Thanks for such a detailed response, I am sure many will benefit from coming across this. From the last two lines in your post, I am guessing that switching is done so that when your body recognises the temp change, one quickly reduces the change so that the body doesn't do the things which might make one ill. Would you say in that case that short showers would just be as effective? Around 4 minutes?
I take a hot shower and then turn it to the coldest setting for 30 seconds to wake me up in the morning.
Firstly, a lot of the "health" benefits are bull****. Typical new age fads such as veganism. They don't benefit you significantly at all. Secondly, they are clearly making you sick, which is pretty much your body screaming "THIS IS BAD". Stop as soon as possible.
Cold showers are only for after gym.
The switching is done to recognise and maintain a balance in temperature, our core body temp should fluctuate roughly between 35 to 38 degrees, no more no less and this is why the hypothalamus needs to be functioning properly. When in situations such as high altitudes in planes, and immediate movement into a swimming pool or ocean our blood levels instantly see this a threat, weird but its part of our fight/flight mechanism. Short showers are good as of course your saving water for the future economy and population. Did you know? By reducing one minute of your shower time, your saving 15L of water. But of course too short isn't good as showers are meant to maximise the number of negative bacteria, dust particulates, and prevent microbes bypassing skin barrier hence why we use showering / hygiene products.So I would say a good shower time varies between 7-9 minutes.
Original post by Turquaz
That's if you want to kill yourself

You take warm showers after getting sweaty from gym...? :nope:
Original post by Dunya
You take warm showers after getting sweaty from gym...? :nope:

Well not warm exactly but not ice cold either. Cuz you're not supposed to cool down your body temperature in a rush. I have heard that it can have severe implications on your bones.
Original post by Turquaz
Well not warm exactly but not ice cold either. Cuz you're not supposed to cool down your body temperature in a rush. I have heard that it can have severe implications on your bones.

q3ju3a5udde11.jpg

Latest