Doing law but achieved BBB. Should I consider retakes? Watch

Bxrana
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I recently got my grades and didn’t achieve as well as I had hoped. I got BBB and was not too far off the next grade but not close enough for remarks.

I am want to be studying Law at Uni however for mid-top tier firms an ABB/AAB is necessary. Should I consider retaking my a levels? I’m aiming to maximise my chances at getting a TC and BBB would definitely hinder me.
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just keep in mind that u would still need to declare the BBB. Did u have any approved mitigating circumstances?
Bxrana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Just keep in mind that u would still need to declare the BBB. Did u have any approved mitigating circumstances?
Unfortunately not...
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bxrana)
Unfortunately not...
Before making a decision, I would try to find out the following from an authoritative source:

1) do the firms even accept resits? @JohanGRK did mention in another thread that the resits would not fool the firms and you’ll still be out. Although I believe that is likely to be the case, I personally have never seen or heard any firm explicitly state that the grades need to be met the first time round.

2) How strict are the requirements? Are they ‘filters’, or would each application still be viewed on a case-by-case basis (even without approved mitigating circumstances.) If it’s the latter, then you still have a chance to compensate and impress the firms with a stellar uni performance.

It’s likely to vary between different firms so best to contact them individually.

Spoiler:
Show
I have emailed about 10 AAB/ABB firms (this is something I’m quite interested in myself and I'm trying to keep myself busy). Will let you know what they say. What university are you going to? There are enough firms without A level requirements for you to apply to.
Last edited by username3917068; 4 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I recently got my grades and didn’t achieve as well as I had hoped. I got BBB and was not too far off the next grade but not close enough for remarks.

I am want to be studying Law at Uni however for mid-top tier firms an ABB/AAB is necessary. Should I consider retaking my a levels? I’m aiming to maximise my chances at getting a TC and BBB would definitely hinder me.
Moved to Law

You would still be able to apply to plenty of Law firms with BBB (not quite the top firms maybe, but enough to give you a decent amount of choice) and as Lady Jamie says, the BBB would still have to be listed on every application form regardless of whether or not you improved your grades via retakes. I would personally say that BBB is good enough not to make resits that worthwhile. Do you have any uni offers at the moment?
Bxrana
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Moved to Law

You would still be able to apply to plenty of Law firms with BBB (not quite the top firms maybe, but enough to give you a decent amount of choice) and as Lady Jamie says, the BBB would still have to be listed on every application form regardless of whether or not you improved your grades via retakes. I would personally say that BBB is good enough not to make resits that worthwhile. Do you have any uni offers at the moment?
Yes I have got an offer from Aston university. I know it's not that great but not a lot of other unis are offering a place at the moment.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally have never seen or heard any firm explicitly state that the grades need to be met the first time round.
It's something we got from J-SP

inside knowledge ftw

Yes I have got an offer from Aston university. I know it's not that great but not a lot of other unis are offering a place at the moment.
Defo resit and re-apply. BBB at Aston isn't a good look. AAA @ somewhere better is.
Bxrana
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)

inside knowledge ftw

Defo resit and re-apply. BBB at Aston isn't a good look. AAA @ somewhere better is.
Okay thank you. Also, who is J-SP?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Legend has it for a month of 2005 she played Top Gear's Stig.
Bxrana
Rep:
?

inside knowledge ftw

I have a close friend who works at A&O and also does graduate recruitment for them and he's looking to transfer over to DLA. I got advice from him and he said as long as I get a first and good legal WE I should be okay. Very unlikely to land a TC from an MC firm but midtier firms would still consider my app, despite retakes.
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a close friend who works at A&O and also does graduate recruitment for them and he's looking to transfer over to DLA. I got advice from him and he said as long as I get a first and good legal WE I should be okay. Very unlikely to land a TC from an MC firm but midtier firms would still consider my app, despite retakes.
Did you specifically ask re Aston Uni?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Believe it or not, chances are that I've met your friend (I know who you're referring to!)

He's right. It depends on how high up you wanna aim.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ex-MC recruiter, used to be very active on here

left TSR at the start of the summer

you can still find her posts if they've been quoted by someone else (the originals have been deleted)
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Believe it or not, chances are that I've met your friend (I know who you're referring to!)

A&O den. Interdesting
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
A&O den. Interdesting
nah, met the guy at a careers fair back in the day

men stand out 🤷

same goes for Toby at CC
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Wait I’m confused. D
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just to clarify, was he referring to being okay with resits or not meeting the min requirement?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wait I’m confused. D
how is what I said confusing

Mid-tier firms are more than happy to look at BBB from Aston because they don't attract (or need) anything better than that. An MC firm is bound to be more selective because a) it can and b) because the sort of skills that make you a good student indicate that you may be a good lawyer (chief among which is the ability to plan ahead and sit on your arse for long periods of time)

The gent in question said that BBB from Aston is likely to be okay for mid-tier firms
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
how is what I said confusing

Mid-tier firms are more than happy to look at BBB from Aston because they don't attract (or need) anything better than that. An MC firm is bound to be more selective because a) it can and b) because the sort of skills that make you a good student indicate that you may be a good lawyer (chief among which is the ability to plan ahead and sit on your arse for long periods of time)

The gent in question said that BBB from Aston is likely to be okay for mid-tier firms
I quoted you by accident. Calm tf down.

I thought his friend was referring to landing a TC at A&O and the last part about unlikely to land a MC TC blah blah blah were simply OP’s own judgement🙄
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I quoted you by accident. Calm tf down.

I thought his friend was referring to landing a TC at A&O and the last part about unlikely to land a MC TC blah blah blah were simply OP’s own judgement🙄
good reading skills

MC firms await
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?