Oxbridge worth it?

Watch this thread
joedon
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I wanted to apply to Oxford for law but I hear that they really care about GCSEs abd Cambridge doesn't care about it too much. The only problem I have with applying to Cambridge is having to prepare for both the Cambridge law test and the Lnat! Is it a lot harder? I have to sit the Lnat anyway since I'm also applying to other Lnat universities but I don't know if I can prepare for both exams and also stay on top of my school work.

I hear Oxbridge also get special attention and visits from firms, is this true? Realistically, much advantage would attending Oxbridge give you when it comes to job applications for law?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
personally I don’t think it is necessary. it may be impressive to see on your CV, but if the Law course has a good reputation at a certain uni/is highly ranked for other unis then you should be just as fine. If you see anything else that interests you/gices you some experience or more opportunities then that should be taken into account too.
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I’m sure I can spare a few seconds from my culinary mishaps to share some nuggets of wisdom with the OP

OP: It’s not a big deal. I don’t think I spent more than two days on preparing for the LNAT or CLT.

The LNAT is just multiple choice logic/comprehension questions then an essay on random topics that you don’t need to know anything about; it’s just to see if you know how to write an essay and structure arguments etc.

The CLT (IIRC) is an essay similar to the LNAT type of essays. Again, same purpose: can you construct a coherent and logical essay. It’s not a test of knowledge so there isn’t much prep to do for it.

Good luck!
BashR
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
a degree is a degree at the end of the day tbh I'm not too bothered abt what uni to go too, I am also doing law ( it will be my first year) at Birmingham city uni and I know law is just a competitive field and finding jobs at the end of your course is hard but tbh take it easy on yourself don't try too hard to get to the best uni because your health physically and mentally is important too. stay strong!
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
ofc its worth it. whatever people say about other unis being almost as good, oxbridge have a reputation that is never going away, and that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads