iainbradbury
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently applied for accommodation and was wondering what it is like,

Is the privacy good?

Can you keep yourself to yourself when you need to? I’m alright socially but sometimes I just like my own company

Are there really drunk people staggering round at 4am keeping you awake?

What were your experiences with the people you got put in halls with like?

Thanks
StaffsUniGee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Iain!

This obviously varies a lot depending on the uni you attend and the halls you go into.

Generally though, it's fairly easy to get time to yourself in halls - your bedroom is usually entirely private (incl. a lock on the door) and big enough to feel comfortable alone in. As for the drunk people, that's definitely something that would be affected by location. No matter where you are though, you will probably experience this at some point in halls. But a lot of accommodation spaces have campus life helplines or official Facebook groups now, so you can usually get in touch with someone if drunks keeping you awake becomes a real issue.

My personal experience was pretty good! I hit it off with my flatmates immediately and we got on super well. I did have an issue that caused me to move flats though, as one of my flatmates was consistently using homophobic language and I didn't feel safe around him. Other than that though, we did really well living with each other. I still stay in contact with the rest of my first year flatmates now (I've just graduated) and am so happy I met them!

Hope this helps!

- Gee
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iainbradbury)
I recently applied for accommodation and was wondering what it is like,

Is the privacy good?

Can you keep yourself to yourself when you need to? I’m alright socially but sometimes I just like my own company

Are there really drunk people staggering round at 4am keeping you awake?

What were your experiences with the people you got put in halls with like?

Thanks
Will you be living in halls? And if so, will you have an ensuite room or shared bathroom facilities?
iainbradbury
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Will you be living in halls? And if so, will you have an ensuite room or shared bathroom facilities?
Hi, a this moment it’s a 50/50, just applied for accommodation after clearing, my preference is en-suite but not sure if I’ll get it at this point...

Reason it’s 50/50 is because my uni is in a very commutable distance, so that would not be a problem for me for first year if I didn’t get what i wanted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads