katiecatp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is the age of 25 too old to start at university? Want to become a mental health nurse but need to do my access to higher education diploma first. Iโ€™m currently 22 x
SimaBan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no it's not too late.๐Ÿ˜Š
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No most people going into nursing tend to be mature students anyways
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started uni at 25. There were plenty people my own age on my course (biomedical science).
Perksy121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to uni at 25, I had a great time! A fair few people there were my age but I didnโ€™t have a problem fitting in with the younger students either. I say go for it! ๐Ÿ˜Š
Tee_Ache_Es
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was 26 when I went to university. The first thing I discovered was all the other 26, 27, 30 year olds and so on... not to mention the fact that I had a few 18
Jassam17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
๐Ÿคฃ no, 25 is not too old. do what works for you and not go on everyone elses timeline.

I started my degree at 28, due to graduate next year at 30 & currently applying for grad entry medicine which will start when I'm 31 (if I get in)
PurpleGhost25175
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jassam17)
๐Ÿคฃ no, 25 is not too old. do what works for you and not go on everyone elses timeline.

I started my degree at 28, due to graduate next year at 30 & currently applying for grad entry medicine which will start when I'm 31 (if I get in)
Wow! I am hoping to apply to grad entry medicine too and I will be around 25/26 (depending on what year I apply for). What degree did you do?
I was 19 when I started uni but I had to do a foundation year and repeat 2nd year so I am 23 now. I'll be 24 when I, hopefully, graduate.
sunnymummy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katiecatp)
Is the age of 25 too old to start at university? Want to become a mental health nurse but need to do my access to higher education diploma first. Iโ€™m currently 22 x
No itโ€™s definitely not too old so go for it! Iโ€™m a very mature student and started when I was 50! Iโ€™m about to start my 3rd year and will then do a PGCE so that I can teach ages 14 to undergrad. Good luck!!
Jassam17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PurpleGhost25175)
Wow! I am hoping to apply to grad entry medicine too and I will be around 25/26 (depending on what year I apply for). What degree did you do?
I was 19 when I started uni but I had to do a foundation year and repeat 2nd year so I am 23 now. I'll be 24 when I, hopefully, graduate.
I'm currently away to go into 3rd year of a forensic science degree. I had it confirmed by my uni that it is 2/3 biological sciences so it means i don't need to have A level Chemistry or biology for the unis i'm applying to (which is good as i don't have them)

What degree are you doing? Good luck with your last year.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
never too old to learn something new๐Ÿ˜
PurpleGhost25175
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm currently away to go into 3rd year of a forensic science degree. I had it confirmed by my uni that it is 2/3 biological sciences so it means i don't need to have A level Chemistry or biology for the unis i'm applying to (which is good as i don't have them)

What degree are you doing? Good luck with your last year.
Forensics is good. I'm doing natural sciences and I'm on the biology and forensics with psychology pathway. I was never sure if Forensics counted as a biological sciences but now that you mentioned it, I am gonna ask my uni too. I don't have the a level grades or subjects either as I didn't think I was smart enough to get into medicine after a levels.

What unis are you applying for? What kind of volunteering experience do you have? (Sorry for the nosiness).

Good luck to you too
Last edited by PurpleGhost25175; 4 weeks ago
Jassam17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Forensics is good. I'm doing natural sciences and I'm on the biology and forensics with psychology pathway. I was never sure if Forensics counted as a biological sciences but now that you mentioned it, I am gonna ask my uni too. I don't have the a level grades or subjects either as I didn't think I was smart enough to get into medicine after a levels.

What unis are you applying for? What kind of volunteering experience do you have? (Sorry for the nosiness).

Good luck to you too
yeah, I was concerned my degree wouldn't have enough 'biological science' but turns out its classed as 2/3 cause otherwise I'd be screwed.

Yeah,, its definitely worth checking with your uni.

I'm applying to Kings and Barts only GEM & the 5 year course. I loved both open days, but also I'm limited to where I can apply as I own my house which is 25 miles west of london.

I have experience volunteering in an a&e department. hoping to be able to work my way up to ward helper too with a bit more time.

what about you?
PurpleGhost25175
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah, I was concerned my degree wouldn't have enough 'biological science' but turns out its classed as 2/3 cause otherwise I'd be screwed.

Yeah,, its definitely worth checking with your uni.

I'm applying to Kings and Barts only GEM & the 5 year course. I loved both open days, but also I'm limited to where I can apply as I own my house which is 25 miles west of london.

I have experience volunteering in an a&e department. hoping to be able to work my way up to ward helper too with a bit more time.

what about you?
Sounds good.

I came for the Kings Open day and I liked it too. I have been to Warwick and Nottingham. I liked the feel of both campuses. I haven't been to Swansea uni but I have been to the city. It seems pretty modern and its close to the sea haha. I'm thinking Keele for the 5 year one. They are not bad either.

I helped out in a local hospice for 3 months. I volunteer with the cancer support centre in a local hospital near uni but I'm hoping to do more of clinical role once I go back.
Tai2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  am i not supposed to HAVE WHT I WANT.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  73.9 KB
Jassam17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds good.

I came for the Kings Open day and I liked it too. I have been to Warwick and Nottingham. I liked the feel of both campuses. I haven't been to Swansea uni but I have been to the city. It seems pretty modern and its close to the sea haha. I'm thinking Keele for the 5 year one. They are not bad either.

I helped out in a local hospice for 3 months. I volunteer with the cancer support centre in a local hospital near uni but I'm hoping to do more of clinical role once I go back.
sounds like you have great experience

Good luck with the UCAT and application.

I'll message back once I've done my UCAT to let you know how it went ๐Ÿ™ˆ
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There was a user on here who was in their 60s doing their undergraduate degree. 25 is absolutely not "too old", it never is too late to start.
FinalMasquerade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi katiecatp,

In my work place, we have had many student nurses of various ages. We recently had someone in her 50s who qualified and got a job with us. You are definitely not "too old". Your life experience will be valuable.

All the best with it.
PurpleGhost25175
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
sounds like you have great experience

Good luck with the UCAT and application.

I'll message back once I've done my UCAT to let you know how it went ๐Ÿ™ˆ
Thanks. Did you do the GAMSAT?
Good luck with your application too! D
Jassam17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks. Did you do the GAMSAT?
Good luck with your application too! D
No I didnt, I originally signed up for it as I wanted to go to St George's.

however when I seen how much work was required for the gamsat and i wasn't so keen on George's at the open day I decided to just focus on the UCAT.

not sure if I'll regret that decision now ๐Ÿ™ˆ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads