Failed my driving test :(

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I had my driving test (first one) today and I failed it.... I am so upset right now because there wasn't anything majorly wrong with the driving and I did all the manouvers and stuff correctly. I did have a pretty harsh examiner and the instructor agreed that the major fault should really have been a minor. I agree but I think the reason I failed is fair as well so obviously there is no point apealing.
I'm worried becasue a LOT of my friends passed first time with no faults as well and I cannot find any dates until around october/ november but they are all on the weekdays and because I'll be at uni, I can't do those dates!
I know I can drive well and went into the test confident but this has really set me back, I'm worried that on my next test, I'll be way to nervous
TG1984
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had my driving test (first one) today and I failed it.... I am so upset right now because there wasn't anything majorly wrong with the driving and I did all the manouvers and stuff correctly. I did have a pretty harsh examiner and the instructor agreed that the major fault should really have been a minor. I agree but I think the reason I failed is fair as well so obviously there is no point apealing.
I'm worried becasue a LOT of my friends passed first time with no faults as well and I cannot find any dates until around october/ november but they are all on the weekdays and because I'll be at uni, I can't do those dates!
I know I can drive well and went into the test confident but this has really set me back, I'm worried that on my next test, I'll be way to nervous
I failed my first motorbike test, and I was insistent that I rode perfectly - I was furious when he told me I had failed.
2nd time I was so nervous because of this that I drove far more cautiously and passed. Nerves are horrible at the time but the pay off when you finally pass will make it worth it.

Good luck.
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All the best drivers fail the first time. First time passers are too cocky
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can probably find a cancellation if you keep checking the website. If not you could take a couple days off uni to come back for the test or take a couple of lessons in your uni town and book a test there.
Anonymous #1
I genuinely did stuff that people do on a daily basis and it wasn’t even dangerous. I got two majors but one of them should really have been a minor apparently, no point complaining now. My other major happened because I wasn’t in the left hand land and couldn’t swap lanes, the examiner even noticed the fact that there was a lorry and so I couldn’t change lanes without slowing down (otherwise would have ended up going too fast into a roundabout) but she gave me a major for that anyway... little harsh IMO but can’t argue with it
I did everything safely, nothing dangerous at all and the major faults could have easily passed for minors, I’ve never been told that I would fail when changing lanes unless I did it safely.... clearly not.
I’m so annoyed because I know the drive was fine and probably won’t happen again. The route and manoeuvres were stuff I liked too so I’m worried the next one will be horrible. There was stuff I couldn’t have avoided and unfortunately that counted as a major so I’m fuming because I know I couldn’t have avoided those situations!
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I genuinely did stuff that people do on a daily basis and it wasn’t even dangerous. I got two majors but one of them should really have been a minor apparently, no point complaining now. My other major happened because I wasn’t in the left hand land and couldn’t swap lanes, the examiner even noticed the fact that there was a lorry and so I couldn’t change lanes without slowing down (otherwise would have ended up going too fast into a roundabout) but she gave me a major for that anyway... little harsh IMO but can’t argue with it
I did everything safely, nothing dangerous at all and the major faults could have easily passed for minors, I’ve never been told that I would fail when changing lanes unless I did it safely.... clearly not.
I’m so annoyed because I know the drive was fine and probably won’t happen again. The route and manoeuvres were stuff I liked too so I’m worried the next one will be horrible. There was stuff I couldn’t have avoided and unfortunately that counted as a major so I’m fuming because I know I couldn’t have avoided those situations!
If you got a major fault, you were NOT driving safely.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Keep an eye on the test dates. Check everyday as there are frequent cancellations. You never know you might be able to get one next week!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by IWMTom)
Yeah I get that, one of the majors I completely agree with but the other one I actually waited properly and didn’t disturb anyone around me and made sure it was fine before I moved off... maybe there’s something I missed.
FinalMasquerade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Anon,

I am sorry about the tough news. It can be rather upsetting. However, no need to give up and feel downtrodden for too long. These things do, unfortunately, happen. To be honest, not everyone passes first time. Perhaps some of your friends were not being truthful? Either way, it will ultimately not matter down the line. Keep checking the website for dates, and you may come across a cancellation. All the best for next time.
Anonymous #1
I got two majors, one of them my instructor believed should have been a minor but it’s the examiners word. The other one, the examiner did acknowledge that it was an unfortunate situation and there was a lorry directly in front and said I should have been in the left hand lane DESPITE the fact that she said I should just go into the right hand lane after exiting the round about. I even asked if I could go all the way round the roundabout to then end up on the left but she said no.
I could tell she was visibly annoyed before leaving the test centre and was further annoyed when I asked her questions, I like to think that didn’t play a part in her marking but she seemed like the kind of examiner who expected a perfect drive and is known to be harsh... oh well
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I get that, one of the majors I completely agree with but the other one I actually waited properly and didn’t disturb anyone around me and made sure it was fine before I moved off... maybe there’s something I missed.
I got two majors, one of them my instructor believed should have been a minor but it’s the examiners word. The other one, the examiner did acknowledge that it was an unfortunate situation and there was a lorry directly in front and said I should have been in the left hand lane DESPITE the fact that she said I should just go into the right hand lane after exiting the round about. I even asked if I could go all the way round the roundabout to then end up on the left but she said no.
I could tell she was visibly annoyed before leaving the test centre and was further annoyed when I asked her questions, I like to think that didn’t play a part in her marking but she seemed like the kind of examiner who expected a perfect drive and is known to be harsh... oh well
The situation should not matter in the slightest. If you got a major, you DESERVED to fail as you could have caused a collision.
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've just got to keep trying :console: I know how it feels. On my second test I did everything near perfect, but stalled once and failed for that because it made the car go over a stop line :dontknow: hardly a reflection of me as a driver overall, I think the examiner realised that but he's just following orders.

You'll do it next time. Don't give up or think you can't do it. Extremely few people pass first time anyway.
L4ur41996
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much, the driving test is harder to pass than it is to fail...
I failed 6 times before I passed on my 7th because I was so nervous and kept making stupid mistakes!
Best thing to do is cram AS MUCH driving as you can in before your test! Maybe ask a family member to put you on their insurance for practice? Just to help you feel less nervous
Anonymous #1
The situation should not matter in the slightest. If you got a major, you DESERVED to fail as you could have caused a collision.
I get that, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant... I wasn’t saying that I deserved to pass, I was just annoyed that in different situations I probably would have passed but that’s driving, have to be prepared for anything. My question was really about how can I book a test quickly and I found the answer on here but thanks for all of your help!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I get that, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant... I wasn’t saying that I deserved to pass, I was just annoyed that in different situations I probably would have passed but that’s driving, have to be prepared for anything. My question was really about how can I book a test quickly and I found the answer on here but thanks for all of your help!
Absolutely, but that would have meant that you were potentially unsafe on the roads.

The fact you failed is a very good thing, because it means you can work on your problems so when you do pass you're a safer driver.
Anonymous #1
Absolutely, but that would have meant that you were potentially unsafe on the roads.

The fact you failed is a very good thing, because it means you can work on your problems so when you do pass you're a safer driver.
Yeah exactly, I know I’m capable of passing, just need to practice the test routes more!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah exactly, I know I’m capable of passing, just need to practice the test routes more!
Not quite the right way to think about things.

You should be able to drive on any road at any time in any condition and still pass a driving test. Learning a route and perfecting it doesn't help you out in the real world.
Anonymous #1
Not quite the right way to think about things.

You should be able to drive on any road at any time in any condition and still pass a driving test. Learning a route and perfecting it doesn't help you out in the real world.
I am confident on most routes, roundabouts (particularly multiple lane ones) are where it went wrong this time as I was in the wrong lane and then ended up not being in the normal driving position on a fast road. Tbh, I think it was just lack of practicing roundabouts and pulling over and stuff because I’d done a lot of driving on straight roads and little on multiple laned roundabouts... just lack of practice really
Moocow01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I failed my test first time round. Two stupid majors which luckily I will never repeat. I passed the second time in worse weather and in my own car (I had insurance and the morning of my test my instructors car was hit!) So it was stressful but as a result I drove more carefully.
I felt rubbish that I had failed the first time but you just pick your self up and practise the areas where you need more work.
Keep a look on the website, after I failed I booked straight back in for 6 weeks later, but suddenly refreshed the page and got a slot only 4 weeks later.
Don't beat yourself up, everything happens for a reason.
Sorry for long post
jungfraujoch
Badges: 1
Report 1 year ago
keep refreshing the site... you'll get a closer date.. Igot 3 weeks time at croydon test centre after failing... Just book anything available for now and then check for cancellations which certainly happens. I've done this twice in the last 8 weeks. Unfortunately I failed again today and will now give more time before sitting another one but the dates are there - you'll find a date. I'm a mature learner driver and I have used my own car twice as i got fed up of exorbitant test day fees from instructors and zero practice ( I don't have a mom/ Dad's car )..... I purchased a car to keep and owkring on this dream. Wish I'd done it when i was under 30... There are good reasonswhy I didn't at the time though.
Last edited by jungfraujoch; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads