A Level English Literature B - should I get a remark? (please help) Watch

01111magic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I got into my firm university which is now unconditional+have paid a deposit for accommodation. However, although my other grades were really good, I am so disappointed about my English literature grade- which came out as a D. I was 13 marks of a C, I had been working at B for the entire year and my coursework was at a B.
I wasn't going to get a remark because i heard it could affect my uni place? However so many people have told me to get a remark and have read reports by examining agencies that your 55% likely to get the wrong grade in english literature, so what should i do???

Thanks
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not an A-Level student to know much, but I've also heard that 55% statistic. If you're confident you could go up a grade with the paper you've written, by all means, go for it!

Double check with someone more knowledgeable about the uni place stuff though. It wouldn't be worth to risk that. :yes:

Best of luck x
01111magic
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
I'm not an A-Level student to know much, but I've also heard that 55% statistic. If you're confident you could go up a grade with the paper you've written, by all means, go for it!

Double check with someone more knowledgeable about the uni place stuff though. It wouldn't be worth to risk that. :yes:

Best of luck x
Thanks so much for your lovely reply! I may contact the exams office at my school for individual paper grades then go from there x
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 01111magic)
Hi,
I got into my firm university which is now unconditional+have paid a deposit for accommodation. However, although my other grades were really good, I am so disappointed about my English literature grade- which came out as a D. I was 13 marks of a C, I had been working at B for the entire year and my coursework was at a B.
I wasn't going to get a remark because i heard it could affect my uni place? However so many people have told me to get a remark and have read reports by examining agencies that your 55% likely to get the wrong grade in english literature, so what should i do???

Thanks
If you've got into uni I would leave it, even though it may be disappointing to you to get the grade - employers will be more concerned about your degree once you have it. Also 13 marks is a lot if it was 3 or 4 in English then there's always a point but if its 13 it is unlikely to go up that much even in English and if your uni place doesn't depend on it then you shouldn't bother (my mums and English lit teacher and she only ever suggests remarks if your super close to the grade boundary or if you need it for uni) If you get a 2.1 degree then whether you got a D in English lit won't be as important or even really matter.
Pipppp1881
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I’m in the exact same situation with English Lit B. I was predicted an A, got As and A*s for the past two years and came out with a D even though my NEA was 74/75. I have missed both my law offers and am having both papers remarked.

I would definitely consider getting a remark, hope it all works out for you!
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks so much for your lovely reply! I may contact the exams office at my school for individual paper grades then go from there x
Cool beans :cool: x
01111magic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pipppp1881)
Hey, I’m in the exact same situation with English Lit B. I was predicted an A, got As and A*s for the past two years and came out with a D even though my NEA was 74/75. I have missed both my law offers and am having both papers remarked.

Thanks so much for your reply! I was also told my NEA was very strong and not to worry about the exams .. Loads of luck im sure you will get the grades! x
01111magic
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilybond:))
If you've got into uni I would leave it, even though it may be disappointing to you to get the grade - employers will be more concerned about your degree once you have it. Also 13 marks is a lot if it was 3 or 4 in English then there's always a point but if its 13 it is unlikely to go up that much even in English and if your uni place doesn't depend on it then you shouldn't bother (my mums and English lit teacher and she only ever suggests remarks if your super close to the grade boundary or if you need it for uni) If you get a 2.1 degree then whether you got a D in English lit won't be as important or even really matter.
Hey, thanks for your reply! Yeah I guess that's true it is expensive too getting it remarked, it's too bad the grade boundary went up from last year so was only five away from a c if it had been last years papers x
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, thanks for your reply! Yeah I guess that's true it is expensive too getting it remarked, it's too bad the grade boundary went up from last year so was only five away from a c if it had been last years papers x
Yeah I mean you can always try but I just meant that if you weren't willing to spend the money it would still all be fine but if its important to you go for it as long as your far enough away from the lower boundary that is the one risk with English remarks is that it could go down that is unlikely though, maybe ask your English teacher if they can ask for your paper to be called so they can look at it and say if they think it worth a remark - because your not in a hurry due to already having a uni place this could be a good option then if they think its been marked wrong - which can happen I knew a girl who went from a U to an A
EibGC
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in the same position:/ let me know how you get on! I'm trying to get my paper back to see if it's worth a remark
Anon0601
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How many papers were you looking to get remarked to get the additional 13 points Is it 13 raw marks or 13 UMS? If UMS how many raw marks would you need. My child had a couple of papers remarked and increased by 12 UMS across the 2
01111magic
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your replies! I am still torn on what to do, i found out i was 3 marks of a c in paper 1 but 10 off a c in paper 2. If i'm honest i thought id done better in paper 2? but if i get both remarked it's going to cost over £100 because it's aqa ..

I would have talked to my teachers however i think they probably feel me getting a d is probably my fault lol
01111magic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anon0601)
How many papers were you looking to get remarked to get the additional 13 points Is it 13 raw marks or 13 UMS? If UMS how many raw marks would you need. My child had a couple of papers remarked and increased by 12 UMS across the 2
13 UMS ... even though im a few marks of a c in paper 1 and about 2marks off a d in paper 2 my coursework is at a b it still in total doesn't add up to a c
Anon0601
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
13 UMS ... even though im a few marks of a c in paper 1 and about 2marks off a d in paper 2 my coursework is at a b it still in total doesn't add up to a c
13 UMS is not impossible across 2 papers (or even 1 in extreme circumstances) the only thing I would say is you are already in a Uni you wanted to be and once you get your degree your A level grades will not be relevant. I completely understand that it is a matter of personal pride but only you can really say how much it matters to you. Good luck with university and whatever you decide.
cheerIeader
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi. Have you or anyone else heard back yet?

I have also gotten a D in Lit after getting consistent A*/A's but am 6-7 marks off. My teacher apparently reviewed the paper and said the grade 'accurately reflects my ability.' Not going to trust his judgement though as he's basically been useless throughout the year in which we had him.
Pipppp1881
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
Hi. Have you or anyone else heard back yet?

I have also gotten a D in Lit after getting consistent A*/A's but am 6-7 marks off. My teacher apparently reviewed the paper and said the grade 'accurately reflects my ability.' Not going to trust his judgement though as he's basically been useless throughout the year in which we had him.
Hi, I’m still waiting aswell! I’m a bit confused because I thought that the deadline was the 31st August but I doubt we are going to hear back today
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’m still waiting aswell! I’m a bit confused because I thought that the deadline was the 31st August but I doubt we are going to hear back today
Have you still not heard back?

I was told that the longer they take, the better the result potentially so stay hopeful. The people who have heard back so far haven't been altered much.
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Have you heard back yet?
01111magic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I was going to get mine remarked however I didn't because one of my friends paid over £100 and got the same mark back, so I didn't go for it, I'd like to know if yours changes because the deadline is still 19th sep but obvs not priority
cheerIeader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I was going to get mine remarked however I didn't because one of my friends paid over £100 and got the same mark back, so I didn't go for it, I'd like to know if yours changes because the deadline is still 19th sep but obvs not priority
What did your friend get and how many marks was he/she off?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?